Recommendations for poop boards/trays for under roost

tpatricco

Songster
Mar 24, 2019
Warren, NJ
I'm outfitting my recently delivered coop with the essentials before my first flock is old enough to move in. I'm planning to put a tray/board of some kind under the roosting area in the coop for easy cleaning - seems like a common practice. What kinds of trays (purchased? DIY constructed?) are you using. Trying to determine the best solution for my coop. it's a 6x6 - roosting area is about 60" wide x maybe 24-30" deep. Obviously one nice, perfect, right sized tray would be ideal.

Thanks in advance for sharing your solutions or sources!

How high are the roosts?
Is this a coop/run combo that you purchased from a store?

Hi - yes - 6x6 coop with run combo - I'd have to measure to be exact, but it's an elevated coop - not a walk in type, so I'm thinking the roosting bars are in the 18"-24"-ish range above the floor of the coop.

Here's my coop/run combo: I guess I should've just got the slide out drawer for cleaning, but I think a properly sized tray for sand/PDZ should be fine.

You can buy a plastic battery case for boats that would work the battery if you don't want to build a box around it. Do a google search for Marine Battery Box.
Not only will it prevent a chicken from electrocuting themselves, it will protect the battery from the dust and crap that the birds will stir up - coops are dusty.

I use a Poop Hammock.
I have never had to scrape poop off the walls of the coop.
Since it is made out of cheap landscape fabric I can rinse it off during the warm weather.
Generally I replace it every couple of months I just sewed a loop on both ends and inserted a dowel to support it.
I fill it with bedding and use a kitty litter scoop to remove the poop daily.

i-NJx6KXc.jpg

i-tkH4MCH.jpg

I'm outfitting my recently delivered coop with the essentials before my first flock is old enough to move in. I'm planning to put a tray/board of some kind under the roosting area in the coop for easy cleaning - seems like a common practice. What kinds of trays (purchased? DIY constructed?) are you using. Trying to determine the best solution for my coop. it's a 6x6 - roosting area is about 60" wide x maybe 24-30" deep. Obviously one nice, perfect, right sized tray would be ideal.

Thanks in advance for sharing your solutions or sources!

My girls roost on either end of the coop at night, and I recently purchased 2 trays from WalMart in the section where they sell welcome mats, they are made for parking muddy shoes at the door. They are 24" long, about an inch deep. I put 1 on either end of the coop with shavings in each, where they roost at night. Pull the trays out, scoop the poop and you're done! Works great!

I'm just thinking of a flat tray with a minimal lip. Nothing that takes any significant dimension. I'll have to measure for you and take some photos, but I think we are not imagining the same thing.
You can get large flat trays in the water heater section of Home Depot which might work. You might need to line up two.

Back
Top Bottom