Recommendations for poop boards/trays for under roost

tpatricco

Songster
Mar 24, 2019
Warren, NJ
I'm outfitting my recently delivered coop with the essentials before my first flock is old enough to move in. I'm planning to put a tray/board of some kind under the roosting area in the coop for easy cleaning - seems like a common practice. What kinds of trays (purchased? DIY constructed?) are you using. Trying to determine the best solution for my coop. it's a 6x6 - roosting area is about 60" wide x maybe 24-30" deep. Obviously one nice, perfect, right sized tray would be ideal.

Thanks in advance for sharing your solutions or sources!

How high are the roosts?
Is this a coop/run combo that you purchased from a store?

Hi - yes - 6x6 coop with run combo - I'd have to measure to be exact, but it's an elevated coop - not a walk in type, so I'm thinking the roosting bars are in the 18"-24"-ish range above the floor of the coop.

Here's my coop/run combo: I guess I should've just got the slide out drawer for cleaning, but I think a properly sized tray for sand/PDZ should be fine.

You can use rubber trays, but it can be hard to find them in the correct size. I personally have some 3 inch tall wooden trays with sand--they make for easy cleaning.

Thanks! That's what I was wondering - where would be a good source for large enough plastic/rubber trays or is is just easiest to build my own out of wood with some kind of sheet material for the bottom?

I am not sure that you have enough room for poop trays in there. The tray would need to be at least 6" below the roost, and that would only leave 18" for head room to have a chicken walk under it or work under there - actually less than that when you subtract for the bedding on the floor and the thickness of the tray itself. It will make it really hard to do anything in there.
You may be better getting a kitty litter scoop and just scooping out the new poop during the morning chores.

I am not sure that you have enough room for poop trays in there. The tray would need to be at least 6" below the roost, and that would only leave 18" for head room to have a chicken walk under it or work under there - actually less than that when you subtract for the bedding on the floor and the thickness of the tray itself. It will make it really hard to do anything in there.
You may be better getting a kitty litter scoop and just scooping out the new poop during the morning chores.
I'm just thinking of a flat tray with a minimal lip. Nothing that takes any significant dimension. I'll have to measure for you and take some photos, but I think we are not imagining the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom