Recommendations for poop boards/trays for under roost

My recommendation for a "poop board."
IMG_2399.JPG

You can buy a plastic battery case for boats that would work the battery if you don't want to build a box around it. Do a google search for Marine Battery Box.
Not only will it prevent a chicken from electrocuting themselves, it will protect the battery from the dust and crap that the birds will stir up - coops are dusty.

Excellent points - yes, I think my husband can easily build an enclosure for the battery area. The power inverter for the solar etc. is also on that little shelf, so for safety and cleanliness may be easiest to just build a box that can cover it all. This along with DIY feeder and watering systems are on our list for the holiday weekend.

Thanks for the compliment on the coop! - yes - I know it won't stay pristine for long - once they move in, that's the end of that.

Can you stand inside coop?
Sliding stuff along floor might be a PITA due to the floor bedding.
Might be better to build a shelf for trays under roosts...
....then get some trays close to size you need.
The autodoor and battery tray are both kind of in the way.
Do you plan to block off all the battery gear so the birds can't touch it?

It's not a full height coop. I totally see your point about not being easy to slide the trays toward the door for cleaning once the bedding is there. I guess I should've done the option for the trays that slide out from the exterior for cleaning. Rookie mistake.

Yes, I think we will build a cover for the battery & inverter to keep it clean safe from the birds.

Thanks for the advice!!

I just put an addition on my coop to accommodate the addition of three pullets. The main part of the coop has a door for access, but not a walk in. Had recently switched to sand in the main section and put wire flooring in the addition. I scrounged up a board to put under the roost but was having a problem raking out the poop. Think fingernails on a chalk board. So, after a quick search on Amazon, I found a child's push broom that is the perfect size for reaching the furthest end of the poop board for a super quick sweep out.

Attachments

• IMG_0153.JPG
    IMG_0153.JPG
    651.2 KB · Views: 21
YES! This is exactly what I'm thinking - just need to figure out to get one that's the right dimensions. Thanks!!

Just did a quick search - largest sheet pans are 26x18 - so probably two of them next to each other would be perfect!
Inside is smaller than I thought but, make one single tray. You are not going to be wanting to be handling individual trays full of poop and walking around inside trying to move them, pick them up. I used a single piece, cut to fit, of that white, fake board that they sell in Home Depot. It's a plastic of some type a half inch thick. I made a frame out of wood around the edge. It is One single tray and it slides out the back. Pull it, dump it, put it back and you're done. I fill the entire bottom of the coop with shavings. Chickens poop everywhere. Not just in a tray under the roost. You can see the tray in the bottom here. If yours has an access panel in the back, use it for this.
20140624_184153.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom