Recommendations for poop boards/trays for under roost

I use a Poop Hammock.
I have never had to scrape poop off the walls of the coop.
Since it is made out of cheap landscape fabric I can rinse it off during the warm weather.
Generally I replace it every couple of months I just sewed a loop on both ends and inserted a dowel to support it.
I fill it with bedding and use a kitty litter scoop to remove the poop daily.

i-NJx6KXc.jpg

i-tkH4MCH.jpg

I'm outfitting my recently delivered coop with the essentials before my first flock is old enough to move in. I'm planning to put a tray/board of some kind under the roosting area in the coop for easy cleaning - seems like a common practice. What kinds of trays (purchased? DIY constructed?) are you using. Trying to determine the best solution for my coop. it's a 6x6 - roosting area is about 60" wide x maybe 24-30" deep. Obviously one nice, perfect, right sized tray would be ideal.

Thanks in advance for sharing your solutions or sources!

My girls roost on either end of the coop at night, and I recently purchased 2 trays from WalMart in the section where they sell welcome mats, they are made for parking muddy shoes at the door. They are 24" long, about an inch deep. I put 1 on either end of the coop with shavings in each, where they roost at night. Pull the trays out, scoop the poop and you're done! Works great!

I'm outfitting my recently delivered coop with the essentials before my first flock is old enough to move in. I'm planning to put a tray/board of some kind under the roosting area in the coop for easy cleaning - seems like a common practice. What kinds of trays (purchased? DIY constructed?) are you using. Trying to determine the best solution for my coop. it's a 6x6 - roosting area is about 60" wide x maybe 24-30" deep. Obviously one nice, perfect, right sized tray would be ideal.

Thanks in advance for sharing your solutions or sources!

I have a 5x6 coop with a roosting platform about 3/4 up the 6 ft side wall. I bought a 5x6 tarp , used roofing nails to hang it ( the metal tarp eyes slip right over the nail head so I can remove it) nailed the other end to the front of the plat form in the same way. I can take it down , empty it , disinfect and hose it and rehang . It’s also long enough that it makes a little curtain over the top of Best boxes and the ladies really like the privacy. Also is great for composting the manure , there’s nothing mixed in and I don’t have flies !!!

I'm not sure a giant hole in the floor is a good idea for NJ winters...but I get how this makes life easy.
For a raised coop it is quite easy to modify it for NJ winters or any other winters by making hinged side panels. Lift them in the summer, lower them in the winter. Another forum member (sorry, don't remember who that is, but they showed pics) has his coop done that way.

Hi - yes - 6x6 coop with run combo - I'd have to measure to be exact, but it's an elevated coop - not a walk in type, so I'm thinking the roosting bars are in the 18"-24"-ish range above the floor of the coop.

Here's my coop/run combo: I guess I should've just got the slide out drawer for cleaning, but I think a properly sized tray for sand/PDZ should be fine.

That's an incredible coop! Did you build it? Nice!!

I'm just thinking of a flat tray with a minimal lip. Nothing that takes any significant dimension. I'll have to measure for you and take some photos, but I think we are not imagining the same thing.
You can get large flat trays in the water heater section of Home Depot which might work. You might need to line up two.

That's an incredible coop! Did you build it? Nice!!

Thank you! No, unfortunately we didn't build it ourselves - just not enough time - Horizon Structures, an amazing barn, coop, shed and garage builder in the Amish country in PA built it for us - I did select all the finishes and customize some features. Hopefully it's a "build it once, build it right" undertaking for us.

Back
Top Bottom