Recommended Breeds to Get

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickenlover89, Feb 8, 2014.

1. chickenlover89

chickenlover89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    Hi all.

So, recently I lost two chickens, and this spring, we are going to get some new chickens.

I would love help on the breeds y'all recommend to get! They will both be girls, and we love friendly girls that are also good layers.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Australorp, Orpington, Plymouth Rock and Wyandotte are all popular breeds that are docile, friendly and excellent dual purpose birds.

3. chickenlover89

chickenlover89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    Thank you! Do you have any personal experience with Wyandottes, or Australorps?

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Actually not with either of those breeds. Love Plymouth Rocks and if I wasn't dedicated to them would definitely have Orpington again.

Australorps are simply Black Orpingtons developed for utility in Australia as soon as the then newly developed Orpington were introduced to that country. Austral-Orp. Same demeanor with less color variety and fluffy feather breeding developments over the past century.

And you always here good things about Wyandotte which also come in many color varieties like the Rocks and Orpington.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by