1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

recommended chicken books?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Alphagamchick, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Alphagamchick

Alphagamchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    MI
    Hi, I know all you chicken experts could recommend a couple of good reference books on chickens. We will just have a backyard flock so I don't need to know about plucking and recipes and the like. Some that I have looked at included that.

2. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I would still recommend Storeys Guide to Raising Chickens but a good magazine is Backyard Poultry, it comes out every other month. I buy mine at Tractor supply. The new issue should be out by now.

3. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Storey's Guide To Raising Chickens edited by Gail Damerow - I have acquired several chicken books oer the years and this is still the one I refer to the most.

4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Alphagamchick, I subscribe to Backyard Poultry Magazine and also think it is worth the price. The latest issue is avaiable now.

Another book that poultry owners should consider is The Chicken Health Handbook, by Gail Damerow. Alot of good advice there.

bigzio

5. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Living with Chickens: Everything You Need to Know to Raise Your Own Backyard Flock by Jay Rossier.
    Located in the back of the book are lists of hatcheries, supplies & equipment, cooperative extension offices, and other online links. The beautiful photographs alone are worth the purchase price. I think I saw a copy of this book at Tractor Supply but I got mine at Amazon.com.

Stephanie

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  6. HenHappy

HenHappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    The first book that I got when I was looking into chickens was

Title: Keep Chickens! Tending small flocks in cities, suburbs, and other small spaces

By: Barbara Kilarski

ISBN#:1-58017-491-4

This women was so enthusiastic at first I thought she was a little carzy...and then I got chickens, so now I understand!!! It's full of great info and is very well written. (She even set up a closed circuit camera in her coop...chicken TV!!!) (I've begged but DH still says no).
    I also have storey's guide and it also is wonderful.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  7. Alphagamchick

Alphagamchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    MI
    Hi All, Thanks for the book suggestions. I do subscribe to "Backyard Poultry". Also, I have read through through Storey book. Does anyone know anything about "Hobby Farms Chickens'? I saw it in Hobby Farms magazine.

8. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by