Recommended hatcheries?

klsmith0807

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2020
Our first hatch went ok but we’ve ended up with mostly cockerels. So, I’m planning on ordering some pullets from a hatchery. What would be a good one to order from? Not 100 percent sure which breed we want yet, but a more docile one would be great.

Two different friends of mine recommend MyPetChicken. As for docile breeds, buff orpingtons, easter eggers, and cochins are quite sweet in my experience.

MyPetChicken buys from other hatcheries and resells them, sometimes with an added sexing offered. They're more expensive but I think they have a 6 minimum instead of 15 like most
They have 3 minimum on standard fowl. Yes, they do offer sexed bantams, which other hatcheries don't.

I recommend Ideal hatchery. The chicks I ordered all arrived healthy with no losses. There is no min-max amount for chicks, you just have to buy $30 worth of chicks. They also have free shipping, and a very large variety of breeds. They do send a few extra roosters for warmth, but many other hatcheries do that too.

For friendly breeds: Easter egger, orpington, cochin, brahma, red sex link (also called golden comet, red star, or ISA brown), most bantam breeds

I recommend Ideal hatchery. The chicks I ordered all arrived healthy with no losses. There is no min-max amount for chicks, you just have to buy $30 worth of chicks. They also have free shipping, and a very large variety of breeds. They do send a few extra roosters for warmth, but many other hatcheries do that too.

For friendly breeds: Easter egger, orpington, cochin, brahma, red sex link (also called golden comet, red star, or ISA brown), most bantam breeds
I actually didnt get a single extra egg or chick for over 80 birds from several seperate orders this year. XD

Ideal though you want to make sure your okay with getting a different variety of the breed. They might not hatch enough and you might get say, a dark Cornish instead of a buff cornish

I've ordered from Meyer's twice and had really good luck. Last year I ordered 13--all arrived alive and well in 24 hours or less; they all ended up being pullets as ordered. This year, I ordered 9 chick, all arrived quickly and were healthy, just one accidental cockerel. If all else looks equal, you might want to pick the hatchery that is closest to you so that they arrive as quickly as possible.

Did you order 25 or more each time? I think they only send extras for less than 25 chicks. For my order of 7 bantams, they sent 5 male large fowls. Maybe they send more "packing peanut" chicks for bantam orders?

I had 21 bantams from Ideal and we had to order 25 standards from Stromburg (their minimum when we ordered)

Back
Top Bottom