Recommended hatcheries?

I just got 3 assorted rare breed chicks from Meyer Hatchery on Tuesday. They shipped Monday afternoon and I got them Tuesday morning. I was impressed by the packaging, and all 3 chicks are perfect! It will be a few weeks before I know if they’re all pullets, as ordered.
BDCB3B9F-7BF0-47A0-B328-93E700F89452.jpeg

I bought my first 6 from Tractor supply, when they had them in the store. Then I found out you can order them on line from TS, as well. You have to buy them in a bunch of 10 but they are very reasonably priced. I just bought 10 California Whites ( Theyre suppose to be just like White leghorns but a lil bigger) for $34.00, (shipping included in price of chicks :). They'll be delivered to the PO next week, which in turn , they'll call me to pick them up.

I should have added, the two breeds we hatched are Buff Brahmas and Black Cooper Marans. I live in PA, I think it might get too cold for Silkies here and would also be worried that they are too small to mix with the Brahmas? Thanks for all your replies!

meyer hatchery is in Ohio and have many options and small orders. If you see a breed you want and it’s not available you can keep checking and add it to your order before it ships. I’ve ordered from Mayer and am in NYS. Silkies can live in cold weather. My silkie lives with standard hens, but she does hold her own.

I should have added, the two breeds we hatched are Buff Brahmas and Black Cooper Marans. I live in PA, I think it might get too cold for Silkies here and would also be worried that they are too small to mix with the Brahmas? Thanks for all your replies!

silkies should be avoided for the reasons you mentioned.

My black coppers are average tempered birds. As are Brahmas from what I read of them.

Orps are sweet and easy. Remember black astralorps are ops.

Avoid the birds that need all day free ranging. Better get a foundation of knowledge with easy birds.

Similar size birds and similar temperaments, housing needs and cope with PA.

Will birds get wet ?? I dont think silkies work well in outside sitations, need a bit of pampering.

Look at the standard breeds from US or northern europe.

Males with single combs usually experience frostbite here.

Back
Top Bottom