Recommended hatcheries?

Not all hatcheries gave every breed or variety of that breed.

Find a breed that gets along with what you have. Some brerds too docile to cope with more aggressive types.

Also, most are pretty much sold out so be flexible, have a list of 4-5 breeds.

If you are new to chickens, start with the cheaper ones. 3-5$ each rather than $25+

Use MyPetChicken breed selector to understand how breeds vary. Not just feathering but ability to handle cold or heat, cooped all the time? or is free ranging everyday possible, how many eggs can u realistically cope with? Temperment: some standoffish, others climb into llap..

The big hatcheries are about the same. Expect some losses, shipping is tough on chicks. Buy the gro gel etc.

I should have added, the two breeds we hatched are Buff Brahmas and Black Cooper Marans. I live in PA, I think it might get too cold for Silkies here and would also be worried that they are too small to mix with the Brahmas? Thanks for all your replies!

Cackle Hatchery in Lebanon, Missouri has always sent happy, healthy chicks. But I agree with TwoShepherds, probably best to go with the hatchery nearest home. The faster you receive them, the better off they’ll be.

Our first hatch went ok but we’ve ended up with mostly cockerels. So, I’m planning on ordering some pullets from a hatchery. What would be a good one to order from? Not 100 percent sure which breed we want yet, but a more docile one would be great.
I ordered from Hoover’s Hatchery on Sunday and received my baby chicks this morning all alive and chirping.

I love Cackle Hatchery but they’re done for the season. If you want birds before March you’ll have to search other hatcheries.

I’ve never ordered from other hatcheries.

We used mypetchicken the first time. We had some losses. But I think that was rookie mistakes. Kept them in a small brooder. Too hot...

This time we got chicks from a local feed store. A real feed store. With real farm people. The are a major supplier in the south east mass area. 6 happy healthy chicks. If you are lucky enough to find a place like this. You can't go wrong.

Last edited:
Australorps, Buff Orpingtons and Cochins are all great docile breeds. The first two are better for eggs, and the latter is a poor layer, but a great pet.

The hatchery you can drive to is the best, in this heat. See if there are farms near you (check for fb pages), or a livestock auction. Google maps to search for hatcheries in PA. Also, TSC is still selling chicks in my area -was just there this morning and they said they would carry them through the fall. Normally they will only carry them in the spring. Shipping is stressful no matter what, but the heat will really stress them out.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom