Recommended quiet/friendly breeds

Rosekitten

Songster
5 Years
May 11, 2018
Rockingham, NC
I may have to put my Wyandotte search on hold for a bit. least till I move and don't have neighbors right next to me like I do here. After checking more into them.. it was stated they were noisy ..? I don't recall the ones I had in the past to be so but maybe I'm wrong.

So instead I am here asking a couple things.. (as a bit of information, I live in NC in case weather needed to come into play too).

Should I stick to getting chickens or would ducks maybe be quieter? Regardless of either.. does anyone have recommended breeds? I still would like some color in my flock.

(of course.. it seems to depend on the article I read if the Wyandotte is a good quiet bird or not.. haha)

Noisiness is based off of the individual not so much the breed. If you looked up a bunch of articles on every breed I'm sure you would find some claiming they are quiet and some claiming that they are noisy. My Wyandottes in particular are quiet, but that's just mine. For other breeds I highly recommend Orpington and Marans. Also if you don't mind bantams my Cochin bantams barely make any noise and are very sweet. I also have ducks and a duck can be just as noisy as a chicken.

Last edited:
Or quails, they can be very quiet, the coturnix are noisier than bobwhite. They are kind of small cute chickens! Ducks and chickens are cute though, I'm just suggesting quails as an idea as I own neither ducks or chicken, although I would like them! :D

I don’t think ducks are quieter than hens. But you could keep both drakes and ducks that way. Personally I am not a big ducks fan because they are messy but that should not stop you.
What is really quiet are pigeons, though if you are looking for eggs they are not ideal.

My Brahma never makes any noise besides a tiny sweet peep. She is the quietist of all my pullets by far. My Orpington is next quietest. I would recommend either for quiet breeds. Both of my Marans are loud, but not to be outdone by my even louder Welsummer.

Love my Bielefelder, she can be a little noisy when she sees me because she starts demanding treats lol. She does have a hard time when temps are consistently above 100F, don’t know if you get that in NC. Great winter layer, she started laying again a few days after Xmas. Would also recommend Australorps. They’re a no fuss, friendly, easy to handle bird that does great in all kinds of weather. Plus their black/green feathers are gorgeous!

Last edited:
It's all up to the individual bird. Just like people some are loud, expansive personalities, some are quiet, retiring personalities, some are excitable and always shouting about something, some are laid-back and laconic.

My Brahma never makes any noise besides a tiny sweet peep.

I sold her last fall, but I had a Brahma who not only honked like a goose but felt compelled to not only celebrate her own eggs but to sing the egg song for every egg her flockmates laid. :D

Back
Top Bottom