Recommended Reading?

jessied1227

Songster
12 Years
Mar 31, 2007
East Brady, PA
Okay, after searching amazon.com for books on raising chickens and getting 1900+ results, I'm here to ask if anyone has a book or two they can recommend for a beginner like me.

I have my first 13 girls out in their coop and 12 more hens plus a buff orp. roo coming in about 2 weeks.
lol.png

I just want a couple good all around educational books on raising chickens, and maybe a book about raising chickens for organic eggs.

Thanks so much-
Jessica

Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens : Care / Feeding / Facilities by Gail Damerow (Author) is highly regarded.
I don't know what to recommend about organic eggs though.

Keep Chickens! Tending Small Flocks in Cities, suburbs, and Other Small Spaces by Barbara Kilarski, published by Storey Publishing. The ISBN# is 1-58017-491-4. The publisher's web address is: www.storey.com

Ms Kilarski raises 3 hens in her suburban backyard in Portland, Oregon. She has some great information for people raising small flocks. She recommends cleaning out your coop every week so it won't smell.

I love the way this book is written. I get books from my local library and then if I think they're valuable, I purchase them. This book was the first chicken book I bought.

Check with your local county extension agent's office. They also have lots of valuable information, some of it free or low cost. They will be able to provide information on your local legal requirements for raising, labeling and selling your organic eggs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the titles. I never thought of checking our local library.

The gentleman I bought my girls from is going to hatch out a bunch more next Tuesday or Wednesday, I'm *so* excited.
big_smile.png

Because of our 13 acres, we are classified as a farm. I guess anything over 10 is where we are. I would love to be able to go organic with the birds.

Thanks again-
Jessica

in addition to books check out the Ussery's we site:
http://www.themodernhomestead.us/
there is load of information on rearing poultry "the old way".
also, i would like to read but haven't: the dollar hen published by Norton Creek Press who have reissued several other old titles as well.
p.

Storey's Guide is essential, of course! Also, I really liked Chickens in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide by Rick and Gail Luttman (Rodale Press) because it was very "down to earth" and showed what it is really like to live with chickens -plus it has good starter info.

Happy reading!
smile.png

Yes, and Backyardpoultry magazine that Mr. Ussery writes for is very informative. And also his website rocks for additional information.--Rik Thomas

Back
Top Bottom