Record size egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tom Apples, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Tom Apples

Tom Apples Hatching

Jun 20, 2009
    Yesterday I collected an egg that measured 3 inches tip to tip and weighed 2.9 ounces, am curious how large an egg anyone has recorded?

2. maf2008

maf2008 Songster

Feb 19, 2009
    [​IMG] WOW!

3. dykeswa

dykeswa In the Brooder

Jun 3, 2009
    Greenville Texas
    Quote:Was that stright across or was it with the curve of the, we have had some that I would say would be that long in a stright line but I don't know about weight.

4. rizq

rizq Songster

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    I had an egg that was 3 7/8 ounces laid by one of my mid-sized EE hens. It was bigger than some of our turkey eggs. It was also a double yolker.

See this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=173659

It
    tells the weights and I think there is a post about record eggs. There is a pic of my huge, green egg on that thread and a few other huge eggs as well [​IMG]

5. TimG

TimG Songster

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    I have found an egg that topped 4 ounces, but just barely. It also was a double yolker.

6. Atlchick

Atlchick Songster

Jun 5, 2009
    Grayson, GA
    I have an EE that lays 1 enormous egg about once a week, then 2 'normal size' eggs. We measured one at 3" (straight line) across and 2" high. It's always a double yolk. By the way, has anyone tried to hatch a double yolk? What happens???

7. Tom Apples

Tom Apples Hatching

Jun 20, 2009
    Quote:Was that stright across or was it with the curve of the, we have had some that I would say would be that long in a stright line but I don't know about weight.

I measured along the curve; looks like most measurements are straight lines which I will take next time. Thanks.

8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    5.5 is the record weight for a chicken egg. Mine was 5.2 darnit...I was REALLY hoping to get that in a record book!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: