Recovered from prolapsed vent, now seems "down" with labored breathing

roheryn

Songster
10 Years
Jul 23, 2013
Northern CA
My 1yo French Black Copper Maran hen had a prolapsed vent which occurred when the vent was blocked with fecal material. I initially cleaned the vent one week ago, and began treating the prolapse with witch hazel, antibiotic salve, cortisone and vetericyn, keeping her inside with vitamins in her water (thank you everyone on this forum for advice on that stage!) I treated her 3-4x day for 5 days, as the prolapse was healing. She was eating and drinking just fine. By day 6 she seemed to eat and drink a bit less, and I thought she might be missing her flock so I put her outside in the run in a big kennel during the day so she could interact. The flock hung around with her for 2 days (inside at night) and last night (day 7) the prolapse seemed completely back inside, so I let her sleep with the flock.

This morning, I checked, and she was sitting in the back of the kennel, a little bit fluffed and breathing somewhat heavily. I brought her in, gave her another bath to clean the last of the feathers, trimmed the fluff shorter, checked the vent and dried her. She seems very thin and listless. Her breathing seems labored, and there is a little clicking sound on intake. Could she have a respiratory illness? She's been inside, its not cold her in california, and I've been giving her alternating vitamins and nutridrench in her water. I didn't see her eat yesterday, but she is showing no interest in either food or water right now.

If you've seen any of my earlier posts, this is the "bonus chick" we received last year from a breeder who was nearly dead, covered with egg yolk, and we nursed her back to health. She has been the biggest, friendliest bird in the flock, a consistent layer until this episode. Could her backstory be coming back to haunt her? How can I help my poor hen?

Her crop is a little squishy (like a partially filled water balloon) and now she's listing to the side 😥 I've given her a little "nest" ring with a towel. I'll add a heater to her room, but anything I can do immediately to help?

The clicking sound when she breathes may be from cardio-pulmonary issues, often from tumors. The weight loss and lethargy also are symptoms. The crop will slow down under these circumstances.

Right now, you need to get her to eat. Try scrambled egg with Poultry Nutri-drench lightly sprinkled over it.

She's gone :( I was making her some eggs, and heard her scrabble frantically in the kennel and saw her stop moving. I guess that was death throes. But I will take her to UC Davis and have a necropsy done. We have had Mareks in the flock, but its been 6 months since a bird was sick. Maybe just bad luck, maybe a respiratory illness. I'll find out with the report. Thanks for your help @azygous

@azygous I wonder if she had a stuck egg? She had a messy back end like some of the other posts and didn't seem to be passing normal stools. I hadn't seen an egg for a while from her, but then some of the girls are just starting to lay again after winter and I was going with she hadn't started laying again yet. She had laid all winter until Feb then took a break. Is it possible she was trying to start laying again and something got stuck? Would that cause her to die so fast? I can't get her to necropsy until Monday and I'm hoping she didn't have something contagious. She was healing so nicely I was feeling really happy that she had recovered from what looked like a horrendous prolapse. In my 8 years of chicken raising I've ever encountered this, so its new ground. Poor thing, its so frustrating when you try everything and still they don't make it.

Yes, it's possible she was eggbound, but her other symptoms pointed to something worse.

I hope you refrigerated the body. Do not freeze.

Yeah, it was a really really fast downhill turn. Unfortunately I am very familiar with how to store a body for assessment. I'm hoping it wasn't Mareks... we lost 2 birds last year but they didn't at all look like this. We did have a bird die of a bacterial infection in our very first batch (the chick in my profile picture) right after starting to lay... it was just hours from when we saw her not feeling well to death. In my daughters arms no less! We have always taken our birds to get necropsy because I want to know what happened. We are fortunate to be so near a lab, its just 40 minutes away.

I'll keep her in a cooler with plenty of ice packs until Monday morning.

Yes, knowing what killed a chicken is very useful. I wish everyone had easy access to a lab. It will be interesting to know what killed her. We all learn from it.

It would appear she died of Mareks... but it was so different from the other two. We have been very unlucky this year with this batch of birds. We lost one at 5 months, one at 8 months and now one at 1 year. The report listed this:

The gross findings are compatible with a lymphoproliferative disease, presumptive Marek's disease. Both kidneys were tremendously enlarged and tan-white. These kidneys are the largest ones I have ever seen in chickens. The white discoloration of the kidneys and ovary along with the nodules in the omentum and intestinal serosa are likely caused by the invasion of pleomorphic lymphocytes. Microscopic examination to confirm the diagnosis of a lymphoproliferative disease is pending.

Covering the intestinal loops and occupying the coelomic cavity is a pale yellow, thick, opaque fluid (yolk). The liver and spleen are moderately enlarged. Both kidneys are tremendously enlarged (8x4x3.5cm), tan white, and firm without evident renal parenchyma. The ovary is enlarged (4.5cm), tan-white, and multilobulated. The omentum and intestinal serosa have numerous multifocal to coalescing 0.5-1cm diameter, tan-white, opaque nodules.

I'll get the report later, but I'm sure it will be Mareks. She was just hiding her symptoms really well. She seemed bright and active, didn't show any off balance (which is what I saw in the other two birds) in any way, even on the very last day. But clearly she was very very ill. 😞

Back
Top Bottom