Recovery from impacted/sour crop help. Day 12 of diarrhea...

FeatherWeather

In the Brooder
Dec 22, 2022
Sacramento County, CA
My girl Feather is recovering from what I determined was a worm infestation. She ended up with what I assume was an impacted crop/digestive tract that turned into sour crop. She had blasting water diarrhea (which clued me in that something was wrong) and when I treated her for worms, it looked like there was tiny dead worms in her diarrhea. The problem has been trying to get her unblocked. Her poop originally had green chunks in it (with bits of grass and hay in it) and was super sour smelling. Now it is starting to look more like normalish poop color and way more of it (so I'm assuming the blockage is clearing or completely cleared). Aslo, the sour crop has cleared up but she still has blasting water diarrhea (but a little less of it) and now her vent seems to be constantly clenching and unclenching. She was on probiotics but I thought maybe she needs a break from them? I know that sometimes too much probiotics in humans can cause more digestive issues. She's on moistened flock raiser crumbles with hard boiled egg mixed in and she has rooster booster and electrolytes in her water. She's eating a drinking and her comb and waddles are still red. She is up and around in her crate. Her eyes look clear.
This is day 12 of diarrhea and I really want some advice on what to do next?? Her clenching vent is also worrying me. Maybe it's just from the constant diarrhea?? Her vent is also looking pretty puffy and the feathers are gone. I have checked for an egg and I don't feel one. And she not waddling or squatting (I did give her calcium/d3 for a couple of days). Should I give her a warm epsom salt bath?? Or will that stress her out and maybe irritate her bum more?? Or What else can I do??

She just did this. Does this long skinny poop mean she's still impacted?

Attachments

• chickenpoop.jpeg
    chickenpoop.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 14
Pictures of her vent area please? If her vent looks swollen the skinny poop is probably due to inflammation of the vent and/or intestines. If she's eating well on her own I'd try feeding her only moistened crumbles and plain water for a day or two and see if that helps her system relax. Offer some grit too in case she needs it. I don't think an epsom salt bath will make much of a difference either way, so if your girl enjoys them I'd say go for it (just make sure the water is warm, not hot) and if not skip it.

Stop the probiotics, boiled egg, rooster booster, electrolytes and calcium.
Just give her plain boiled white rice mixed with buttermilk in her crumbles for 2 or 3 days to eat.
The plain boiled white rice will settle her innards. The buttermilk will coat intestinal lining and should stop the diarrhea.

She is still having diarrhea ( day 14 ) so I really needed a better approach. Thank you so much!
( I'll post a picture of her vent when I get a chance--but it does look swollen but I don't think it looks prolapsed, just irritated )

Last edited:
I'd try dawg53's diet for two days, along with minimizing all stressors (minimal noise and activity). But if that doesn't lead to improvement I'd start looking at other reasons for the inflammation. Gleet can cause vent swelling and diarrhea, but I don't think it's likely if you just treated for sour crop with an oral antifungal, and if you haven't been seeing any discharge or white crust forming around her vent. Bacterial enteritis is another possibility that is hard to definitively diagnose, but if nothing else is working it might be time to try a broad-spectrum antibiotic.

I'd try dawg53's diet for two days, along with minimizing all stressors (minimal noise and activity). But if that doesn't lead to improvement I'd start looking at other reasons for the inflammation. Gleet can cause vent swelling and diarrhea, but I don't think it's likely if you just treated for sour crop with an oral antifungal, and if you haven't been seeing any discharge or white crust forming around her vent. Bacterial enteritis is another possibility that is hard to definitively diagnose, but if nothing else is working it might be time to try a broad-spectrum antibiotic.
Thank you so much! This community is amazing. As a new chicken owner, I am literally driving in the dark!
I've already started the white rice with her crumbles and I'm heading to the store soon for buttermilk. She does seem to be gradually improving. She isn't guzzling water and blasting it out of her vent anymore. And the diarrhea looks more like mushy poop than clumpy chunks in pure water. I'm hoping this is just inflammation from all the intestinal distress she's suffered the last 2 weeks. I literally treated her with every kind of med I thought might help. ( I dewormed her, treated her with corrid, had her on Monistat, electrolytes, Rooster Booster and probiotics. Plus I had to give her a stool softener twice for the impaction that caused the sour crop ) I'm hoping it's just taking awhile for things to go back to normal. If I do have to give her an antibiotic, I have fish mox. I'll have to look up the dosage.

She still has diarrhea. It's white milky with mushy looking poo. No water spray anymore. I did try the rice in her crumbles. The buttermilk seemed to make her poop more. She loves the rice, so I think she is overeating it (which may cause more diarrhea??). So, I'm feeding her only moistened crumbles today. She's still looking and acting perfectly healthy. Just having the diarrhea. I am spraying Vetricyn on her vent 3 times a day and it looks like the inflammation is going down. Can the diarrhea be from her vent being inflamed? Is there any other treatment I can do to get her vent back in order? Maybe preparation H? I'd love to get her back out with the gang...She's very bored and lonely.

Diarrhea could be from intestinal inflammation, but probably not just the vent... Is she still drinking more water than usual? If so that could be the issue, though then you'd want to find out why she is so thirsty. I don't think rice could cause diarrhea (it's just not very nutritious for hens) but too much protein can cause watery poops. I'd keep giving some rice with the crumbles for another day or two. If she seems to be feeling fine I'd let her out for a bit to hang with the flock. Being alone can also stress a chicken out.

Back
Top Bottom