Recurring "chest infection"?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by debsiddle, Jul 24, 2013.

1. debsiddle

debsiddle Hatching

May 27, 2013
    Hi everyone,
    Can anyone help? My hen Carol is on her third "chest infection" since May. She has been treated with Tylan and Clavaseptin on separate occasions which seemed to work.
    However, she has been on Tylan for the last week and she still has laboured/crackly breathing. She has also laid about half a dozen small lashes, so upon vets advice she is on clavaseptin now.
    I have also sent off a poo sample to Retfords yesterday which they'll hopefully be able to test today.
    She's only a year old and not an ex batt. Before May she was always the healthy one, but she's never been right, or laid, since then.
    Any advice/suggestions??!
    Debs

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Recovery from chronic respiratory diseases can affect their laying abilities. Some chickens never lay well again. She may have built up a resistance to the antibiotic.

3. Angelicisi

Angelicisi Crowing

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    Maybe change the coop substrate to somethin else? Look for a cause. They're creatures of habit. Respiratory tells me its somethin she's breathing, that she goes and does again after antibiotic treatment. Maybe the germies causing the infection are lingering in her fav hangouts. Lysol or a light bleach solution spray in her areas she frequents and especially if she's separated from others to disinfect her isolation area. Just some thoughts...

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most information about the chronic respiratory infections such as mycoplama gallisepticum and choryza show that the disease is never really cured, but gets better, lays dormant for awhile, then will reappear when conditons are right. That is why many people cull their sick birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: