Recurring Diarrhea in 3 out of 8 hens

Cmonk66007

Chirping
Apr 6, 2022
I'm in my third year with a flock of eight hens and 3 of them have recurring diarrhea. I de-wormed the flock with fenbendazole a few months ago and saw limited improvement. Since then I've tried using organic feed mixed into their fermented mix, daily, and electrolytes in their water, one week on, one week off. I've also tried 3-day doses of Apple Cider Vinegar and 7-day doses of Cod Liver Oil. Also, Grit and Crushed Oyster Shell (free-choice), Organic Pepper Seed Dewormer - 7 day treatment, Greek Yogurt and Boiled Carrots mixed into their fermented feed.
The same 3 birds keep going back and forth with diarrhea problems while the other 5 never do, and some of them are even the same breed, eating the same food, in the same environment.
Another question I have is, how often do you recommend washing your chicken's butts when they are going through something like this? I'm sure that it must be irritating on the skin of their back-sides to have so much dried poo in their feathers but it seems pointless to keep washing them when the digestive issues haven't been solved.
I have one Pearl Legbar who is suffering pretty bad right now with persistent, really watery poo. I'm grateful for any advice that anyone has for me. Thanks, Ya'll!

Attachments

• 20230914_112813.jpg
    20230914_112813.jpg
    575.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230914_113712.jpg
    20230914_113712.jpg
    580.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230914_114649.jpg
    20230914_114649.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230916_133631.jpg
    20230916_133631.jpg
    581.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I would try a probiotic over anything else. Do you have weather spikes where you are? Do you notice the three in question drinking more? Excessive thirst can indicate issues with the kidneys. Make sure they always have access to proper sized grit and flaked oyster shell.

I would probably trim the feathers back rather than repeatedly wash them.

What is your location? What is the weather? What is the behavior of these chickens with runny poop? What are they eating besides fermented feed? Please list everything.

Not knowing yet the answers to the above questions, I can't say what's causing the runs. But you can try a probiotic like acidophillus, giving a tablet each day to the ones in question.

There may also be some yeast involved in this suspect poop. The flock might benefit from copper sulfate in their water for a week or so.

I wash my chickens' butts when needed. I use baby body wash. It rinses well and leaves the butt feathers nice and fluffy while being gentle on the skin.

I would try a probiotic over anything else. Do you have weather spikes where you are? Do you notice the three in question drinking more? Excessive thirst can indicate issues with the kidneys. Make sure they always have access to proper sized grit and flaked oyster shell.

I would probably trim the feathers back rather than repeatedly wash them.
Thank you, Lillith37. I just ordered some of the Equa Holistics Healthy Gut Protection for Chickens and Poultry. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TSL55B5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
I was under the impression that daily fermented feed would meet all the probiotic needs of my flock but perhaps this added treatment will do the trick for them.
I'm in northern Georgia, about an hour north of Atlanta. The weather here is pretty unpredictable and can be extreme. It can stay below freezing for weeks during some of the winters and the summers can have weeks in the 90's. This Spring has been a roller coaster between warm and cool weeks.
Thanks for your advice!

I was under the impression that daily fermented feed would meet all the probiotic needs of my flock but perhaps this added treatment will do the trick for them.
I'm in northern Georgia, about an hour north of Atlanta. The weather here is pretty unpredictable and can be extreme. It can stay below freezing for weeks during some of the winters and the summers can have weeks in the 90's. This Spring has been a roller coaster between warm and cool weeks.

I don’t know enough about fermented feed to comment unfortunately but an additional probiotic won’t hurt.

I wonder if the inconsistent weather is affecting your chooks. Some can find it harder than others. How long has the diarrhoea been going on for?

What is your location? What is the weather? What is the behavior of these chickens with runny poop? What are they eating besides fermented feed? Please list everything.

Not knowing yet the answers to the above questions, I can't say what's causing the runs. But you can try a probiotic like acidophillus, giving a tablet each day to the ones in question.

There may also be some yeast involved in this suspect poop. The flock might benefit from copper sulfate in their water for a week or so.

I wash my chickens' butts when needed. I use baby body wash. It rinses well and leaves the butt feathers nice and fluffy while being gentle on the skin.
Thank you, azygous!
None of the hens are sick, pale or weak looking right now. I did have one last fall that got pretty pale and lethargic for a couple weeks. That's when I tried the organic pepper deworming and later, fenbendazole. She did get better then and the other hens seemed to improve as well but within a few weeks, at least one of them had problems again. It's been off and on with 3 of the 8 since then.
I live in north Georgia, about an hour north of Atlanta and there can be big swings in temperature here. This Spring has been very unpredictable with warmer weeks with highs in the 80's and some weeks with lows in the upper 30's.
As far as the feed I've been using, I tried the Purina Dumour, when they were younger, dry and fermented. I've since moved away from that to a more local mill (Flint River Mills / Bainbridge Georgia). I'm mixing the Flint River feed with New Country Organics feed, dry and fermented. I also give them scratch grains and black oil sunflower seeds daily and occasional soldier fly larvae, and lettuces / brassicas from the garden. They are not free range, but I do have a movable tent system set up that I move every couple of weeks to give them access to fresh grasses.
I have just ordered some probiotic to supplement their fermented feed regiment (Equa Holistics Healthy Gut Probiotic for Chickens and Poultry). I had always been under the impression that the fermented feed would meet their probiotic needs but maybe this supplemental treatment will do the trick.
I will look into the Copper Sulfate as well. Thanks again!
Thanks again for all your advice!

Last edited:
I don’t know enough about fermented feed to comment unfortunately but an additional probiotic won’t hurt.

I wonder if the inconsistent weather is affecting your chooks. Some can find it harder than others. How long has the diarrhoea been going on for?
Off and on for months. One of them got pale and weak last fall. That's when I dewormed the flock with the red pepper, and then fenbendazole. There was some improvement, but it was short-lived. None of them are pale or lethargic now but I'm sure it must be irritating for them to have dealt with these issues for weeks on end.

lettuces / brassicas from the garden.

I’ve heard about lettuce causing diarrhoea actually. Maybe cut down on the greens & treats and see if that helps?

That's when I dewormed the flock with the red pepper, and then fenbendazole.

Did you do a follow up worming treatment two weeks after the initial dose? If you don’t regularly worm your flock, a repeat dose may be necessary.

The conditions that favour worms also favour coccidia (warm, wet, keeping chickens on the same ground). So you might consider treating with corid to eliminate that possibility too. You can’t give any supplemental b vitamin when using amprolium based coccidiosis medications though, just be aware.

Foods high in water content cause watery poop. Also, extreme weather swings can cause it. Chickens have more issue with going abruptly from cool to hot weather. They will drink a lot of water and that results in the squirts.

As long as your chickens are behaving normally, watery poop alone is no reason for concern, other than the mess. When watery poop is a problem in my flock, I will cook them up a batch of boiled rice to eat. It will usually restore poop to a solid state. Raw carrot can also firm up poop, despite the water content. I hang jumbo carrots with an eye screw screwed into the top and strung up. That entertains for hours and hours.

Back
Top Bottom