recycle, reuse and rescue!

MontanaMomma

Songster
11 Years
Oct 7, 2008
My partner and I decided we would enjoy adding a very small flock of chickens to our family. So we set about planning our coop. We live in town and have a fenced yard, so a run isn't a big concern at this point. My goal was to build the entire structure without spending any money! I work for a wholesale company, so pallets galore! 2"x4" as well. So I used pallets for the frame and 2"x4" for the roof etc. Then we began getting the word out to our friends. A good friend donated some left over siding and T cut shingles from his house in storage and some plywood scraps. Everyone has been very supportive and helpful. We had to purchase a jig saw- the hand saw just wasn't cutting it, no pun intended. Our drill also went kaput and needed replacing. I purchased two boxes of different sizes screws and a large piece of plywood for the front side and door. Otherwise, our structure has been pretty cheap! So, it CAN BE DONE! We are eagerly awaiting spring and our new chicks!

VERY cool! I'd love to see a pic whan you get a chance!
smile.png
I'm sure you're itching now for some baby chicks!!!
wink.png

We live in a development with 1 to 10 acre sites with covenants so we have to build a coop that is approved by the association, so there goes doing it cheap. Although I am using my existing shed for the coop so that should save me a bundle, and the run is hidden so......maybe I can still keep the price reasonable.
wink.png

So let me get this straight MontanaMomma. You built the coop BEFORE getting the chicks?
he.gif
Just can't rap my pea brain around that concept
lol.png
lau.gif

Seriously though, Kudos to you for the forethought and patience. Me, I jump head first before dipping my toes in the water and suffer the consequences.

Quote:
Not necessarily. YOu can do some pretty nice things with just scrounged 2x4s, scrounged plywood and a little bit of trim and paint (which you may well also be able to scrounge or at least get for Real Cheap).

Check out other threads re: sourcing cheap or free 2x4s and plywood, e.g. from salvage or talking to the guys at construction sites or etc.

Good luck and have fun,

Pat

You can do GORGEOUS well done coops on the cheap! Don't be afraid of begging, and dumpster diving! There is a wonderful thread here about what you can find dumped at construction sites!

My coop is almost completely 'green' all reused and rescued material. I did spend some money on a few things to upgrade it to what I did want. But, not much at all. (Reject bad mix GOOD quality paint at Home Depot is $5, so did through that stack!)

Here's the link on where to look and how to go about getting to it:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=88569

Quote:
Not necessarily. YOu can do some pretty nice things with just scrounged 2x4s, scrounged plywood and a little bit of trim and paint (which you may well also be able to scrounge or at least get for Real Cheap).

Check out other threads re: sourcing cheap or free 2x4s and plywood, e.g. from salvage or talking to the guys at construction sites or etc.

Good luck and have fun,

Pat

its true, we built ours out of plywood that my husband kept bringing home and a few 8 ft. 2x2's. Used some old barn paint and chicken wire. We only spent about $50 on it!
16761_coop3.jpg
ps-there are three doors, in the pic two are up---looks kinda weird if you dont see that they are doors!

Quote:
That's amazing. I never in my life thought that was possible. What an amazing idea. I wonder if any of us could ever do the same... [I bet not]

Pullet Pimp I keep telling my husband the same thing no need to build the coop first lets just get some chicks they can live in a box or something and let them grow as we build the coop that seems to be taking forever and a day
barnie.gif
I wish someone would tell him i am not nuts for thinking this way he thinks I have done lost my marbles for this whole chicken thing.....
Mamie

Back
Top Bottom