RECYCLE!

Southern28Chick

Flew The Coop
12 Years
Apr 16, 2007
Think about your trash can.

Meat scraps: Give to your dog, or pig......
Fruit and veggie scraps: Give to your chickens or do what I do...compost pile in the woods complete with chicken poo and bedding
Trash can #1: Glass (beer bottles and such)
Trash can #2: Plastic (milk jugs, food containers that you can't find another use for...)
Trash can #3: Paper (newspaper and well any other paper)

We're doing our part to recycle and keep mountains of trash out of the landfills. We want more ideas....have any?

Edited for spelling.

Last edited:
I recycled a house.

My hubby and I moved a Victorian farmhouse built in 1895, to a lot in downtown Verona Wisconsin. The house is huge and was hanging over the sides of the road as we moved it right down Main st., to it's new location. People sure get over fast, when they see a house coming down the road at them.
lau.gif

The house had to be moved because it was sited for demo to make room for a big box store. I have pic's but havent figured out how to put them on my posts yet.

I think moving buildings is a great thing to do because it recycles and I my case we saved part of a small towns historical past.

When we go to birthday parties instead of the paper or paper bag, we put the gift in a cloth tote bag. Usually the cheap store ones. That way it's reusable. The chickens and dogs get all our scraps too. I try to use cloth diapers. And letting the chickens free range keeps the grass trimmed so we don't have to mow the back yard. When we replaced the water heater we put in a tank less model. It only turns on when hot water is being used. I take tote bags to the store instead of using plastic. And i use vinegar in the wash instead of fabric softener. And we recycle according to the city guidelines.

Quote:
That's awesome! We have a problem here with historical and farm houses being torn down for shopping centers....subdivisions....you name it. Poor NC. It's going to be one big block of concrete soon.
he.gif

Yeah, I now what you mean. I'm writing a book about Historic preservation vs urban development and I working to change a state and federal law that excludes moved historic building from receiving tax credits. I dont know if it will do any good though, but at least it's recycling.

I know its not quite a house but I recently purchased a double seater outhouse at an auction for only $1.00. I plan on turning it into another coop some day. Coop #3??? My second coop is an old shed we also purchased at an auction and I tore the inside down to the studs and revamped it!! One person's trash another person's treasure!!

my son just earned himself $75 worth of aluminum and scrap batteries at the scrap yard. And that was less than usual, he goes to neighbors as asks if they have anything to get rid of.

Back
Top Bottom