recycled breeding pens?

minister man

Songster
13 Years
Sep 9, 2010
New Brunswick
We live in a world of recycling, so I was thinking about how to build inexpensive breeding pens for breeding silkies. Here's my idea, and I am wondering where the holes are.

Advertise on the online classifieds for baby cribbs that no longer meet the standards. wanted free for pick up. The Cribs are about 30" X60" which to me is big enough for a trio. The slats on the side are a couple of inches apart, so hand some eaves trough on the sides for feed and water. Instead of a matress a piece of plywood on the bottom. Silkies don't fly much, probably don't need tops. The sides often come off a crib that makes it easier for cleaning. The legs are high enough that birds can still live on the floor, and the cribs are on wheels which make the floor flocks easier to clean. Cribs come apart for storage.

If people wanting to get rid of them don't have to pay the dump, it is a win/ win situation. So what do you think?

I think that sounds like a great idea! I think I may even steal it! An old crib would also make a nice brooder type cage that would be up off the ground, so easier to take care of than the brooder I use that sits on the floor. The slats may have to be covered with hardware cloth for chicks.

I would put a top on it made of wire too, unless you have it in a coop where you don't have to worry about anything getting at them from above.

Thanks for posting! I love your idea! I'll be interested in the other replies you get.

Back
Top Bottom