Recycled Chickens: Let's share what we do to save money and build with recycled materials

Had some left over yard stakes I made kid chairs out of
[/IMG]

How about a mouse trap.

An old cat litter bucket with about three inches of water in it. Some lightweight thin but wide scraps of wood firmly sitting on a ledge and the bucket edge with chicken feed on the edge. The wood needs to be solid enough that they can walk out there but once they get over the water, it falls. The sides are too slick for them to climb out. The wood is too light for them to climb on a raft.

Song birds can trigger it and escape. It needs to be where chickens can't get to it. I'm not sure they would be able to get out and they'd trigger it anyway. Use peanut butter instead of chicken feed if you wish.

Total cost: The water and the bait.

When I get mice, I wait until they are dead and dump this in the run. I retrieve the wood and reset it. The chickens play keepaway with the mice and eventually eat them. Free protein and the mice are not poisoned or contaminated in any way.

Last edited:
How about a mouse trap.

An old cat litter bucket with about three inches of water in it. Some lightweight thin but wide scraps of wood firmly sitting on a ledge and the bucket edge with chicken feed on the edge. The wood needs to be solid enough that they can walk out there but once they get over the water, it falls. The sides are too slick for them to climb out. The wood is too light for them to climb on a raft.
Song birds can trigger it and escape. It needs to be where chickens can't get to it. I'm not sure they would be able to get out and they'd trigger it anyway. Use peanut butter instead of chicken feed if you wish.
Total cost: The water and the bait.
When I get mice, I wait until they are dead and dump this in the run. I retrieve the wood and reset it. The chickens play keepaway with the mice and eventually eat them. Free protein and the mice are not poisoned or contaminated in any way.
Good one! I'll give this a try!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom