Recycled Chickens: Let's share what we do to save money and build with recycled materials

Hello fellow BYCers!

I'd like us each to talk about anything and everything recycled and poultry related. Chickens, ducks, turkeys, geese, quail, any domestic birds you have, and what you've recycled to FEED them, HOUSE them, FENCE them, NESTBOXES, and etc.....
Well our coop is a building that was already on the property we bought...I made a ramp out of wood I found in said building...Their feeder is a detergent box and an old hamper bottom...their waterer is a 5 gallon bucket with the nipples...I got some chicks and I made them a feeder from the bottom of an easter bucket paired with a nesquik box. Lol. So the whole operation has been ramshackled together...Even my chickens were all "used"

Well our coop is a building that was already on the property we bought...I made a ramp out of wood I found in said building...Their feeder is a detergent box and an old hamper bottom...their waterer is a 5 gallon bucket with the nipples...I got some chicks and I made them a feeder from the bottom of an easter bucket paired with a nesquik box. Lol. So the whole operation has been ramshackled together...Even my chickens were all "used"
Oh, and my nest boxes are just rectangular cardboard boxes with the smaller bottom flap taped shut and all the other flaps taped back to the sides of the box.

ladders, blocks, skids, tires, great recycling!

We have a load of used tires too. I've used them in gardening, but not really in poultry. I think if one could find a container that would fit snugly inside a tire (or two) the black would absorb winter heat, and thaw waterers during the day. I'd think hens would like them for nesting too. If a hen went to sitting, you could put another tire or two on her pile to keep her hidden and protected. Food and water could even be kept inside the actual tire area to insure she's eating well and taking care of herself. I could also imagine keeping sand or grit in them, a hubcab underneat would protect from the ground.

We use skids for fencing allready (here and there), and we're about to use them for the frame for breeding goose houses too. They are available for free in the area.

Love recycling

I used old broken bricks as predator prevention. When building I took the wire about 1 foot into the groud. While I had the trench dug I put the broken bricks on either side of the fence (under original ground level) and then covered with dirt. It keeps the chicken from scratching under and predators out. I have had to recover bricks on the outside from fox trying to get in but they always give up when the hit the bricks.

In my nest box I use pine shavings from my shop.

Scrap 4" PVC makes great feeders.

Scrap 2x4's I use for perches thru the run.

That's all I can think of right now.

i have a q. about, not just the pool ladder, but any ladder... don't they poop on each other? :eek:

does anyone make their own RAIN BARRELS? i was thinking of buying one of those kits that you attach to a recycled restaurant, but they are so expensive it seems like i might as well by a specially designed mosquito tight one, for a few bucks more... i also wonder about how clean you can get those, aren't they usually filled with oil?

as soon as the snow thaws i am going to recycle the fallen trees in the woods ;p for ashe and i think i spy the perfect perch from the kitchen window!
oh, and what does everyone do with their eggs? i have always crushed/ground mine up for the roses... but i hear some turn to dust and feed to chickens? and at some point i will have so much...probably the roses don't need THAT much!

We've been lucky with building materials- had to dumpster dive for 2 x 6s, tin was given to us so all we really have invested in our chicken houses is time, time, and more time plus nails and screws. Hubby loves junk auctions so he bought our chicken wire way cheap, PVC piping for our watering system (up coming this spring), shade cloth was dump bound before keen-eyed Ken spotted it. Pretty much it. I love getting ideas from here for just about everything!! BYC rocks!

I have an awesome deal with a small discount grocer. He gives me all the organic produce he has that he cannot sell and it feeds my chicks much of the week. Sometimes I also get stuff from my co-op and a local restaurnt. It is awesome to reuse material that gets thrown out. I also reclaimed a tossed set of 4 folding saw horses and 4 screens to make a play tractor for the baby chicks.

At least in Northern Wisconsin (where I am) there are TONS of ice-fishing shacks on craigslist--you might be able to find someone who'll give an old ugly one away for free. They're usually insulated, and tall enough for a person to stand in. That's what I'm looking for for my first coop!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom