Red Barred Plymouth Rock

chknbrdr

Songster
12 Years
Aug 23, 2007
Columbus, IN
Thought I would post a pic of my Red Barred Plymouth Rock cock.
His father was a Red Barred that sported out of a hatchery batch of Barred Plymouth Rocks and I bred that bird to show type Barred Rock hens and kept this cock. I know it sort of resembles the Crele pattern, but it is not. I'm working on improving type and size.

I was told that in the early 1900's there were Red Barred Rocks that were kept around Iowa/Kansas. This line came from a small hatchery in Iowa. Thought it might be an interesting discussion if anyone has any history or other info about Red Barred Rocks...?

3703_dscf0010.jpg

Very pretty boy, I read about them somewhere a long time ago. I just hatched out some BR so I could try and creat some using my RIR. Nice to actually see a pic of one.

I tried that, it doesn't work that way, this is some kind of variation from the Barred gene, mixing reds in just makes 'Red Rocks', the Black sexlink.

Reversing the red and black parents would create chicks that aren't sexlinked, but I still don't know if that would do what you're wanting.

I found one site that referenced Red Barred as a color but I can't find any pictures. Do you know what they used to look like? Was it a strictly red and white chicken?

The rooster is beautiful. Good luck re-creating the color. I'd love to get some hatching eggs some day
smile.png

Yeah, you are right, using a Red cock and Barred hen gets the black sexlink pullets, barred cockerels.
Using a Barred cock and Red hen gets all barred offspring, unfortunately no red in the bars. This Red Barred thing is some genetic variation from the regular black/grayish barred pattern.

thanks for the input, if anyone knows where they read information about this color pattern, I would really appreciate it.

Matt

I just read about a breed in Brittan called a Rhodebar which is a autosexing breed. The males look just like that. Yes, they are over here in the US also so you might want to do a search on them. From what I read they breed true but started as a RIR x with BR.

Back
Top Bottom