Red Bourbon vs. Royal Palm

Which is better for a newbie: Royal Palm or Red Bourbon?

• Red Bourbon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Royal Palm

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

CESpeed

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 24, 2012
Hot Springs, AR
Hello. I've recently decided to add turkeys to my poultry wish list. I have two questions: 1) How far away should turkeys be from chickens to keep them from getting blackface?

2) I cant decide between red bourbon and royal palms. They're both beautiful and I've been told that the Red Bourbons are as sweet as can be. I was just going to raise both, but I don't think I want to have two different breeds of turkeys. Which do you think would be better for a newbie? In terms of disposition, taste, broodiness, etc.

Thank you in advance.

Hello. I've recently decided to add turkeys to my poultry wish list. I have two questions: 1) How far away should turkeys be from chickens to keep them from getting blackface?

2) I cant decide between red bourbon and royal palms. They're both beautiful and I've been told that the Red Bourbons are as sweet as can be. I was just going to raise both, but I don't think I want to have two different breeds of turkeys. Which do you think would be better for a newbie? In terms of disposition, taste, broodiness, etc.

Thank you in advance.

What is your goal in raising turkeys? Yard art? Royal Palm are strikingly attractive and are smaller than most other heritage varieties. Bourbon Red are very nice looking and the chicks are irresistibly cute. For meat? Bourbon Red win out every time. Bigger, meatier birds.

As both are heritage turkeys, they are similar in needs, temperament, livability, broodiness, etc. Both fly well and like to roost on roofs and trees, and often land on the wrong side of the fence when they come down.

Blackhead is not an issue everywhere. Contact your county agricultural extension to see if it's an issue in your area.

I have both.
As far as broodiness both go broody. I have each variety of hen setting on nest now.

As far as eye appeal to me the palm win hands down.

I keep my turkeys and chickens together so. Far have no issues of illness or not getting along.

Temperment on both is gentle. Bourbons are curious natured. Palms seem to be a little flighty.

Best I can tell ya is to find the one that appeals to you the most.

Im gonna downsize my flock in the fall.

Gonna keep palms cause I like to look at them.
Gonna keep bourbons cause they are the easiest to sell as eggs chicks and adults.
Gonna keep my chocolates for some reason they appeal to me the most.

Back
Top Bottom