Red Broiler hens look a wee bit scrawny 2 days before D Day

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by themagicash, Oct 6, 2011.

1. themagicash

themagicash Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2010
    Austin
    My red broiler cockerel looks great (love how I got just one roo out of 8 birds in a st run) but some of the hens look pretty small. They are 11.5 weeks old. Their harvest date is this Saturday. If I hold off on harvesting some of the hens, how long can they go? Has anyone kept a red broiler till 18-20 weeks? Next week I am starting some CX and I could probably keep the red broilers until the CX are ready...

Anyone had issues on a long lived red broiler?

My 8 broilers are in a 40sqft run and occasionally free range my suburban yard. They have had 20-28% feed depending on what the store had in stock.

Thanks!

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    In my opinion that is too high of protein and you could have all kinds of problems. 18% is what I always us. I had CX's that were laying before I butchered. Breast weren't as juicy but alright, I was able to get 5 meals from the breast meat of all the girls I butchered. The funniest thing was watching my Duccles mating with them it was like they were just sitting on a table [​IMG] They were fertile too. I hatched one thinking it was Duccle but due to the lack of leg feathers I knew it was a CX mix, cute chick though.
    Michele

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    When I did red broilers, I kept the pullets until around 16wks and they weren't having any trouble. I could probably have kept them longer if I wanted to. We raise our CX on 22% feed for their whole lives though I wouldn't go any higher than that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by