Red bum and black combs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newchick1358, Mar 10, 2017.

1. newchick1358

newchick1358 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have ten hens and about four of them have to black spots on their combs only one has the red bottom. They seem healthy and are laying well. Though the combs on the effected chickens are a little more pail then I'd like any ideas on what's going on and what I should do

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    The bum looks like she has been plucked by a flock mate, you can apply some BlueKote or pick no more to her bum. She most likely won't grow those feathers back until she molts. Watch to see if anyone is picking at her especially during roosting time. Also check her for lice/mites on the off chance she is plucking at her own feathers to get at the biting critters.

The black on the combs look like peck marks. Hens pecking at each others comb. Usually these peck marks heal on their own without any treatment. If you feel that you have to put something on them you can apply BlueKote or pick no more to the combs as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by