Red cuckoo Orpington??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hawaii Chicks, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Hawaii Chicks

Hawaii Chicks In the Brooder

Dec 13, 2018
    Does anybody know if both chicks are red cuckoo Orpington? I hatched them from shipped eggs that I bought as red cuckoo Orpington but they look so different from each other
    Tanks!

Attached Files:

2. AMERAUCANAS4REAL

AMERAUCANAS4REAL Crossing the Road

Nov 8, 2017
    Upper Midwest
    My Coop
    Nope.
    Neither have a cuckoo spot, and let's see.
    One looks like a color cross
    And the other... with a risk of being wrong.... white?

3. MillersFarm

MillersFarm Easily distracted by Chickens

Jun 3, 2016
    Lewiston NY
    Agreed, I would suggest contacting whoever you bought the eggs from and ask for a refund or maybe actual cuckoo hatching eggs..

4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Crowing

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    If the eggs came from a project pen that hasn't been bred long enough for the intended color/pattern they will still throw off colors. I'd wait until they feather in and see what you have for sure before you ruffle the breeders feathers. Chicks can change a lot from fluff to feather. Do you have pics of the parent stock by chance?

5. Hawaii Chicks

Dec 13, 2018
    Thank you all!
    Don’t have any pics of the parents, just this one they show in their website. There were more in eBay when I bought the eggs.
    They breed around 10 different colors of Orpington, so I think may the eggs got mixed.
    I’m happy with the chicks as long as they are Orpington, just was curious about the colores since they both are different.
    I guess I will have to wait and be patient

Attached Files:

JedJackson likes this.
  6. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Crowing

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I'd wait and see what you end up with.

JedJackson likes this.
  7. Linda banks

Linda banks In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2018
    Essex
    Probably both red cuckoo I hatched gold lace earlier in the year they where shipped 4 hatched 3 the same dark marks and the forth was light brown I throughly was a crafty buff egg but he changed and was one of the best marked and deffo a gold laced Orpington

JedJackson and muddy75 like this.
  8. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! And Nuts For Horses!

Jun 9, 2017
    N.W. Missouri
    Post pics of their bodies and combs at 6 weeks for the breed and gender.

JedJackson likes this.
  9. Hawaii Chicks

Dec 13, 2018
    I will for sure! For now I’ll try to guess by checking the wings if they males or females. I’m not trained or anything, just enjoy doing it!

10. rebrascora

rebrascora Free Ranging

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Being trained is irrelevant. Wing sexing only works for chicks that have been specifically cross bred for it to work. It is like sex links that are bred to be sexed by colour but not quite so obvious. Contrary to popular belief, it does not work on all chicks.
    I don't mean to spoil your fun, so by all means examine their wings, but don't read anything into it.
    I am mainly posting this info because others will read your post in the future and then the myth about wing sexing is perpetuated further unless it is clarified. There is so much misinformation out there that just keeps being recirculated.

annageckos and AMERAUCANAS4REAL like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: