Red duck poop! Normal or cause for concern?! Freaking out!

RynNightmare

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2022
If it’s not one duck it’s the other 😅
Just posted something the other day about Sammy and tonight I went to put the ducks up and noticed red droppings. I watched both of them until I watched them poop and Sammy is thankfully fine, but Colby is having red poop. It doesn’t look like pictures I’ve seen of blood in their droppings it looks more like what I’ve seen when people have fed ducks something red but I haven’t given them anything red, their pellets aren’t red, and they don’t have access to anything red when foraging so I’m kind of freaking out right now. It’s late and the only vet I would be able to go to is the emergency vet which is much more costly and last time we were there until like 3am and I have a horse show tomorrow. I hope there’s some way I can clear it up here so I’m posting about it. The ducks are both female Cayugas and are about 1.5 years old. They are my first ducks so anything that goes wrong gets me freaked out, I will attach pics off the droppings.

Attachments

• IMG_5411.jpeg
    IMG_5411.jpeg
    731.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5412.jpeg
    IMG_5412.jpeg
    714.1 KB · Views: 8
Also to add, she’s acting totally normal, eating, drinking, trying to run out of the pen when I opened the door to go inside, all of her normal antics but I know that I haven’t fed them anything red so I’m really worried for her, (don’t tell Sammy but she’s my favorite)

If it’s not one duck it’s the other 😅
Just posted something the other day about Sammy and tonight I went to put the ducks up and noticed red droppings. I watched both of them until I watched them poop and Sammy is thankfully fine, but Colby is having red poop. It doesn’t look like pictures I’ve seen of blood in their droppings it looks more like what I’ve seen when people have fed ducks something red but I haven’t given them anything red, their pellets aren’t red, and they don’t have access to anything red when foraging so I’m kind of freaking out right now. It’s late and the only vet I would be able to go to is the emergency vet which is much more costly and last time we were there until like 3am and I have a horse show tomorrow. I hope there’s some way I can clear it up here so I’m posting about it. The ducks are both female Cayugas and are about 1.5 years old. They are my first ducks so anything that goes wrong gets me freaked out, I will attach pics off the droppings.
So another update, we emailed the emergency vet and didn’t have to go in, however they said it was abnormal and probably either a reproductive disease of gastrointestinal inflammation. They said to watch her and make sure it doesn’t worsen although in her most recent stool it seemed less red and more of a brownish/pinkish/light reddish color. We asked if we should set an appointment with our regular vet and will check back on the email tomorrow, sorry if this isn’t making much sense lol it’s very late (technically very early in the morning) anyways, if anyone has any advice to add for how to deal with this or has similar experiences, me and Colby would greatly appreciate it

What about while foraging anything she could have eaten berries etc? Or ask the vet about coccidiosis?
They don’t have access to any berries that I know of we have a holly bush with red berries but those are all eaten by the robins and gone by now we’re probably going to be scheduling a appointment with her regular vet and I will ask about that there thank you

Back
Top Bottom