Red egg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tuffy, Apr 2, 2009.

1. tuffy

tuffy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    I've never seen anything like this. I just cracked a fresh egg (to bake a cake) and it was totally red inside. The yolk appeared yellow but the "white" was very red, all through and through. I sell my eggs to my neighbors and am now worried that they could get one like this. Yuk~ no hens seem to be sick. Ever heard of this??

2. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I get that from time to time I THINK it is normal.

3. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I've had blood filled eggs before - the hen that laid the first one I had found didn't lay as well afterwards. It was VERY bloody inside, though (like a "Holy Santeria, Batman!!" bloody egg) - I think something went wrong with her insides when she laid it.

If it is just a little blood, it happens from time to time, and usually nothing to worry about.

meri

4. tuffy

tuffy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Thanks for your replys. This egg was very bloody inside! I guess I'll just watch to see if I can figure out which hen layed it (I have 12) I've raided BYchickens for 8 yrs and never have seen this before to this extent. Thanks

5. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Before the shell was produced on the egg white, a small hemorage occurred in her oviduct and blood was deposited into the albumen. It's normal, nothing to worry about in moderation. It's called a Blowout. Those eggs are still edible (mmm extra protein!) but they look gross and probably taste different so...

6. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    [​IMG] I got one of those from the store before.....glad I dont have to that anymore

7. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    I don't think I could eat it. If you can, more power to ya!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by