Red eyed white mutation

Ironsun

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Cumbria
Hi,

Here is a 2nd generation Red eyed white chick (coturnix) mutation my Friend Nick hatched out yesterday.

34585_red_eyed_white_japanese_quail_chick.jpg

It's going a bit slow at the moment after losing my only hen, and this chick has come from a Normal / rew male. So with a bit of luck, there should be more on the way.

Ironsun

Hi,

No, they are not true albino, as they devolp spots and patches like any other. But you can breed the spots out, but still would not be an albino.

Ironsun.

Hi,

Sort of Lutino?

Again not really, birds defined as Albino and Lutino are White and yellow, both with red eyes.

This red eyed white mutation has been around for a few years, mainly in Japan where it is used as a Sex linked variety.

I'm not sure how that works yet, I paired up a Red eyed White male X normal (brown) female expecting to get sexed at hatch. At first I thought I did from 10 eggs I got four normales and 4 Fawn. The fawns were all female, when it came to the normales 3 were males and one was a female. This test was tried twice with simular results. So I must of used the wrong hen in the first place?

From one of these normal male chicks, he is now producing red eyed white chicks. It'll be intresting to see what sex this bird turns out.

Ironsun.

Back
Top Bottom