Red Face on Easter Egger??? **PICS**

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mags2009, Nov 28, 2009.

1. mags2009

mags2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I just posted this pic on the injury thread because she has a broken beak and I am hoping everyone there can help us out. But HOPEFULLY she WILL get better, because look at how red her face is getting!!! She will be 17 weeks old on Monday. Does the red face mean we are getting closer to eggs from her??? She is my favorite EE, I hope her beak will get better!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do you think???

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I would get some duct tape or better yet super glue on that beak after it is washed and dried well.

The red could just mean she is at point of lay.

3. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:i wouldnt super glue it. If infection got in you could never get at it.

4. SurprisingWoman

SurprisingWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
    I have a 28+ week old EE that has been that red since she was about 18 weeks old.

Nada.

Not a thing.

Good luck with your girl. It looks like you are getting some good advice.

It doesn't hurt to get excited over them being red but with the EE's.... it's hard to say.

5. mags2009

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I can't tape it or glue it, I don't know where "it" is! This is what is left. I don't know what happened.

6. ethingtonart

ethingtonart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    indianapolis
    I would clean her beak, but even without an upper beak she can still eat and drink, so don't worry too much. She should be okay!

The redness is a sign of maturity, but I didn't get an egg from mine until about 8 weeks after she showed that kind of red on her face, she was about 30 weeks when she laid her first egg. She's beautiful, BTW!!

Good luck!

7. mags2009

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Thank you, I think she is really beautiful too, she is cream colored, with small touches of brown here and there, I hope the beak grows back... some people think it will, and some don't. I can't wait 8 or more or whatever weeks until she lays! I can't wait to see what color her eggs will be!!!!!!!!! I just have to get her through this....

8. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    my EE roo is getting brighter in the face too, he's a definite roo, is that just a sign of a male reaching his maturity?

9. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

She will be okay, the beak will grow back I promise. [​IMG] I have a crossbeak rooster who broke the end of his beak worse than that and it grew back just fine. Makes you cringe though, it looks so painfull. [​IMG]

The red face is just her blushing, she's getting older, but not necessarily ready to lay.

10. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    You could clean it out and then use the super glue like they said or just clear nail polish I think would work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by