Red faced silkie chicks?

DenZen

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2019
San Antonio, Texas
Good morning,
This is my very first ever batch of chicks. I'm very attached to the two parents, and so I wanted chicks to increase my own little flock. I know that I have a good shot at getting a rooster or two from my four chicks. If so, I will have to find them homes (as I only have one rooster and three hens), but I wondering what the chances are for the chicks to have the black skin of the hen. My rooster is a pretty boy, but his face is red (see pic). Mom is a lovely bird according to silkie standards (she's the white one behind the black chick in the picture). My chicks so are adorable!

Attachments

• IMG_20190914_181314.jpg
    IMG_20190914_181314.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20190916_112953.jpg
    IMG_20190916_112953.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20190916_113100.jpg
    IMG_20190916_113100.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 24
I know that I have a good shot at getting a rooster or two from my four chicks. If so, I will have to find them homes (as I only have one rooster and three hens)
Or if they do have better confirmation than your current rooster you could keep the best and re-home the rest. :old

Your babies are cute. :love

I can't remember how early on I could tell their face color was too red... seems like 6 weeks maybe.

Is your hen bearded and roo clean faced? Bearding should be more dominant in the chicks.

:fl

Well, I'm not sure if my hen is bearded or not. I don't show them, so I've never thought about it...she's just fluffy everywhere. I don't see "more" bonus fluff around her neck. My rooster definitely does not have one!

Thanks for your advice, and I will keep an eye on them around the 6-8 week mark for red face. I'm trying to handle the chicks a lot so they are personable when/if I need to find other homes. Maybe I will get lucky with four hens and no roosters! :)

Back
Top Bottom