red flood light vs. infrared

vtchickenlady

Songster
11 Years
Sep 5, 2008
Tonight I put a red flood light (85 watts) in the coop and immediately the chickens started to pick at each other. Why? Does infrared keep them from doing that?

I think the infrared is heat with very little light capability or that's how the chicks see it. The floodlight however is just that..and probably has way too much light factor for them and it'd be too bright in there to be on 24/7. Try the infrared and see the difference.
I've only ever used the infrared and never had a picking problem.
Hope this helps
jumpy.gif

Red flood light or red heat lamp? I wasn't aware of 85 watt ones. 50 and 70 watts I have but anyway that's weird. Maybe they just then realised that there were other chickens in there too.
idunno.gif

I have a red bulb in my coop and have never seen that happen. They did get testy with each other during real cold snaps when they would all stay inside on their own. Maybe it wasn't the lamp? Is there anything else you changed?

jeremy

I'm pretty sure it was the lamp. I had used a regular red flood light instead of the infrared. The infrared I have is 250 watts and I can't find one w/ lower wattage so thought I would try the flood light. It is only 85 watts but was pretty bright.

Yea that may have been it. Is this a heating thing using the flood light? If so I'd think a 100 (or less) watt bulb and reflector would be better then a flood light.

Maybe the red flood light had them seeing red
lol.png
lau.gif
roll.png

sorry about that but it was there.
big_smile.png

jeremy

Last edited:
I have always used the 85watt red flood light and never had any problems. But I will say that I use them from day one so maybe they get used to it.

JoanneNC

DD just found a 125 wt infrared "brooder" light at Lowes'. Bottom shelf with the light bulbs section.
wee.gif

I didn't know they made them but we always have some extra light bulbs on hand in case one goes out so we got that one and put it in with the young chicks (about 4 weeks old) and they are doing fine with it. They don't seem as warm of course, as we usually have 250 wt on them but we have 2 week olds that we are using that on. So I put a 75 wt in there also.
I am so ready to move these wild youngins out to the coop but no can do right now!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom