Red fox attack- Strikes back- Check pg 2

LinckHillPoultry

Songster
12 Years
Jan 17, 2008
Pennsylvania
About a half hour ago I was sitting comfortably on my couch. I heard my neighbors voice outside the window. I threw on my shoes and rushed out the door to greet him at the gate to my dog yard, he had a shotgun in his hand.

"Your brown turkey just almost got it" he said.

At first I didn't think it was something about a predator, but when I looked at her standing in front of the barn all ruffled up with none of her 9 babies, I knew something was up.

"I was in my yard and out of the corner of my eye I saw something moving fast in your horse pasture. When I looked over there was a red fox going after your turkey. He was biting at her tail and at her front."

At this point I was really scared. She is my favorite turkey, and I would be devastated if anything happened to her. Also, she had 9 babies.

"Your big horse saw what was going on and ran down and started stomping the ground in front of the fox, that scared it away."

I ran over to where Tommy the turkey was and picked her up. I carried her into my garage and set her down for the time being. I looked and my hand and shirt had blood on them.

I headed out of the door and stood and listened. Over the hill by the woods I could hear poults crying for their mom. I took off and jumped through the horse fence and high-tailed it down to the woods.
My neighbor stuck along and went down with me. We waited and listened and found 6 of the 9 babies, none of the others were calling.
I carried them up and said thanks for everything to my neighbor, then when I got back I put them in the brooder with my duckling.

I went back out to the garage with Tommy and found the fox had bit a deep gash in her side. I wiped it off and then sprayed it with blue coat.
I carried her out and threw her in the middle of the chicken palace and gave her water, food, and hay for a bed.
I walked back out and could hear more babies. Once again I took off back over the hill towards their cries.
I found 2 more, which means there is one poor poult out there unless the fox already got it.

I am not very happy at the moment.

I have blood on my hand, shirt, and now I noticed my pants.

I'm just glad that most of them are alright, save for the one, I tried my best to find it.

Stupid, stupid fox.
He's gonna get it.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry. How agonozing, and sad. I hope very much that you find the other little one and that your turkey will heal - seeing her babies will comfort her. I'm glad your neighbor was so helpful. And your wonderful horse.....
JJ

Wow! That's rough.
sad.png
I hope the mom turkey makes it. And I hope you get the fox.

That horse'd be getting some pretty good treats if it were mine! I'm glad you were able to save most of the babies, and hope Tommy recovers well. Sounds like you've got a pretty good neighbor too!

Back
Top Bottom