Red Fox in Barn at 0415

Fox is still here and I have been watching it closely using game cameras almost every night also been finding scat and digging signs. Dogs run it off most nights but it comes back usually the following night. Fox clearly watches direction dogs come from and has worked out an escape route that works against one dog. A second dog focused on such problems is in the pipeline, so I need to address this myself. I want to relax my containment at night so fox needs to go now.

Starting last night I setup a leg hold trap which can be problematic for my dogs that are supposed to go into same area multiple times each night. Female dog most focused on fax and pup were confined to house while male was allowed to stay out. Male on multiple occasions got riled stirring female into action big time. I released her to help with what I thought was a coyote issue and had to call her back hard to keep her away from set trap. Male was also working on a GHO that was stirring up chickens more in barn after I adjusted lighting. Owl moved more around pens after that.

Owl now going after my bait used for fox and male dog alone is running perimeter hard trying to run off owl interfering with fox. Below is trap set barely buried in the ground next to live-trap containing chicken as bait.
20180726_201817.jpg
20180726_202416.jpg
20180726_202540.jpg
20180726_203458.jpg
BUSH0877.JPG
BUSH0879.JPG
BUSH1014.JPG

Adjustment will be made to keep GHO away from trap as they would cause grievous harm. Harm we used to do purposely, to owls. Times have changed.

Efforts to monitor fox are being thwarted by owl. Darn bird keeps bumping the camera making is aim wrong way. I can also here at least two owlets begging and they are doing it a lot. It seems they do it more on cool nights. I guess insect and herp abundance drops off making so birds and mammals are more important plus harder to come by.

My son and I are sleeping in hammock on deck. Owls, insects and dogs pretty roudy but human neighbors worse. We are listening for fox to get caught by trap. Only male dog out as he is less likely to get into traps when not supervised.

My son and I are sleeping in hammock on deck. Owls, insects and dogs pretty roudy but human neighbors worse. We are listening for fox to get caught by trap. Only male dog out as he is less likely to get into traps when not supervised.

Great-horned owl is working pens hard. I do not know if it is going after chickens but the juveniles are making quite a commotion. When I shine the area the owl appears to fly off ground or from pen without chickens. I can hear juvenile owls on other side of house so appears to be an adult in yard. Juvenile owls begging big time. Commotion may help bring in fox if I can keep dogs back. As I wrapped up shining I could see Ben standing in path to barn watching everything. That alone will keep fox from getting into trap. This is like juggling.

Back
Top Bottom