Red Fox in duck pen

Jillove Farnell

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2020
A red Fox got in my duck pen. This is my five week old Pekin . He has several puncture wounds. He is drinking water. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have him in the house
4E870C40-0597-42D5-AA3F-8FE416E4A9A5.jpeg
4022E126-E481-4BEF-A7F1-1941A923BABB.jpeg
4FB671EA-8BDE-45B6-984E-54025908F9E0.jpeg

Poor baby!

I would clean the wounds as you would for yourself. Keep an eye out for infection - a duck person here might suggest prophylactic antibiotics? An infection for him might show up initially more as lethargy than anything else.

He’s drinking and standing - good signs! Eating? Making noise? Pooping? And he’s no doubt traumatized so keep him warm and snuggled and give him extra love ❤️.

And of course, fortify your pen. Good luck!

We had a duck attacked and she survived. Vet brought piece of mind, and expertise, in her case she had a fractured leg, so ot was weeks of splint and bandage and keep dry. Ended up calling her box duck. But we got some good bonding time. Treat the duck, but deal with problem, myself I endeavor to keep predators out and keep them whittled down to a minimum. Thats not for everyone but keeping them out is all the more important. I like my fence i got from premier, elecronet for poultry. I went with 48”, get the kit, it is worth it.

We had a duck attacked and she survived. Vet brought piece of mind, and expertise, in her case she had a fractured leg, so ot was weeks of splint and bandage and keep dry. Ended up calling her box duck. But we got some good bonding time. Treat the duck, but deal with problem, myself I endeavor to keep predators out and keep them whittled down to a minimum. Thats not for everyone but keeping them out is all the more important. I like my fence i got from premier, elecronet for poultry. I went with 48”, get the kit, it is worth it.
My husband is looking at this fencing now . Great idea Thanks

Back
Top Bottom