Red Foxes! How do I get rid of them?

Pics
We have always had foxes around gray's and reds we've had our chickens for just over 10 years and never had an issue with the gray fox or the red fox until 2 months ago when the red fox had killed 2 Hens.Then this past week we've seen 2 red fox one looks sickly it's tail is like a stick no hair on it and a normal looking one. One of them got another hen and was in the process of trying to grab another Hen 2 days later when my Husband ran up and scared it off and it let go of our Hen she's unharmed.. Since then we've shut them in our small run that my Husband covered the top with wire. They're relentless coming constantly all day when my Husband isn't standing guard outside with them and we hear our Rooster going crazy crowing our German Shepherds run look out the bedroom window and then run to the backdoor to get outside to run over to the pen we have chased the Healthy looking fox off all day! He keeps coming back we see where it killed a morning dove as it's got feather collection piles just inside the woods Help help help!! Our chickens have always free ranged every afternoon and now their not able to leave the run.any suggestions on how to get them to move on??? I truly appreciate any suggestions that would help us save our flock.
Your coop and run must be "Alcatraz ". No holes on top, sides or bottom. Preferably put wire or heavy boards all around the perimeter of coop and run. Collect your urine and spread around the perimeter of your coop and run. Fox hate human urine, if you know where its den hole is,(find it!) deposit some human urine there too, often , sends a message to move on fox, find a new home. Wherever you know it likes to hang out or kills,Pee there too. Dont let you chickens out early in the morning, get them in before dusk. This is war. Flashing predator eyes (you can find on amazon)attached to your coop at fox eye level and several other areas. I found to move these periodically. They are solar powered so make sure they are in sun.

We have always had foxes around gray's and reds we've had our chickens for just over 10 years and never had an issue with the gray fox or the red fox until 2 months ago when the red fox had killed 2 Hens.Then this past week we've seen 2 red fox one looks sickly it's tail is like a stick no hair on it and a normal looking one. One of them got another hen and was in the process of trying to grab another Hen 2 days later when my Husband ran up and scared it off and it let go of our Hen she's unharmed.. Since then we've shut them in our small run that my Husband covered the top with wire. They're relentless coming constantly all day when my Husband isn't standing guard outside with them and we hear our Rooster going crazy crowing our German Shepherds run look out the bedroom window and then run to the backdoor to get outside to run over to the pen we have chased the Healthy looking fox off all day! He keeps coming back we see where it killed a morning dove as it's got feather collection piles just inside the woods Help help help!! Our chickens have always free ranged every afternoon and now their not able to leave the run.any suggestions on how to get them to move on??? I truly appreciate any suggestions that would help us save our flock.
We have a ton of fox where we live. After one bad neighbor dog incident, we put up a solar powered 6v electric fence. One strand about 10" off the ground and a second about 4 ft. My husband works for a wildlife management agency and he has friends who are professional trackers and trappers. We called on of his friends after seen fox repeatedly in our yard around the chicken coop to ask their advice. Where we live it is illegal to trap and relocate animals without permission and the other person who responded is right, another fox will take over that range once one is moved. So the trick is to train the fox to not like chickens. We do this by baiting the electric wire about 2x year with some aluminum foil coated in bacon grease. This quickly teaches the predator population that chickens are off limits! After we started doing that I have had chickens out free ranging and a fox right in the middle of them and no issues. That particular fox I am convinced thinks chickens are electric and wants nothing to do with them. Same goes for bad neighbor dogs on the loose. It's been 7 years with no other issues...knock on wood. Good luck!

D-O-G is the only foolproof way to deter a predator like the ones you have. Our LGDs are the best & ultimate protectors of everything fr sheep & goats to chickens & yes we even have an aviary of dove. They mark everything in the vicinity & even when they snooze thru the day, the chickens can move about freely. Only possible threat is the occasional hawk, but they are eagle-eyed & usually alert to the presence of any airborn threat. It’s not a quick-fix for you, but the right dog (not just any canine) is the most permanent fix to allow your chickens to enjoy their freedom.

Your coop and run must be "Alcatraz ". No holes on top, sides or bottom. Preferably put wire or heavy boards all around the perimeter of coop and run. Collect your urine and spread around the perimeter of your coop and run. Fox hate human urine, if you know where its den hole is,(find it!) deposit some human urine there too, often , sends a message to move on fox, find a new home. Wherever you know it likes to hang out or kills,Pee there too. Dont let you chickens out early in the morning, get them in before dusk. This is war. Flashing predator eyes (you can find on amazon)attached to your coop at fox eye level and several other areas. I found to move these periodically. They are solar powered so make sure they are in the sun. Electric wire is great too.

D-O-G is not a quick fix, but a very permanent one. Our LGDs patrol the pasture perimeter putting down urine and even when they are snoozing away in the haystack midday, their olefactory messages are being rec’d by predators (fox, coyote, even raccoon & skunk), so our chickens wander calmly at will. Only possible threat is from overhead, the occasional hawk, but the flock is usually vigilant and alerts loudly to anything airborne, which awakens the dogs and they take over the defense. Not just any canine will do, but the right dog(s) can make farm life much more enjoyable for you and all your prey animals!

I am sorry to hear what is happening in your yard. I too have lost several chickens and a few muscovy to red fox this year. I even caught a red fox coming in to check out the chicken yard one evening as I was going out to shut the chicken's gate for the night. I now only let them out early in the day and I the afternoon if I am out in the larger yard with them (1 acre). Their run area is 80' x 30' and the coop run is 6' x 12'.

Not good at all our outer pen is only 4' tall and is just a hop for the fox to get in. I told my Husband that we either cut the trees down in that pen and build

Not at all there are trees in the pen that are shade for them the fence is only 4' and just a hop to the fox to get in. I've told my Husband that we have to cut them down and build a totally covered pen possibly buying a carport covering to use as the top. So unless we kill them they won't stop and we must build a completely enclosed pen/coop for them and not be sure that they could free range safety again. :(
We have chain link side yard with a chain link cover. We also had a fox grab a hen several weeks back and only let them out when we are with them. I hate they can’t range all day anymore. We are trying to figure something out.

I got my first flock, bantams, just over 5 years ago. The first 2 years we battled possums, a racoon, stray dogs and a pack of coyotes. The strays were caught and sent to the animal shelter. The possums and racoon were permanently gotten rid of. The coyotes were gotten rid of between ourselves and a few other neighbors. The last 3 years we've been doing well with no more problems. We have 2 brother dogs kenneled next to our chickens and ducks for the last 2 years with no problems. Ours are free ranged within a large pen. I don't lock them up, my ducks stay out all day and sleep outside in the pen at night. Neighbors can't figure out why we don't have predator problems like they do.

Honestly, permanently getting rid of the fox best. You can also use a humane trap but they must be transported 100 miles or more away or they could return.

How is your dog with the chickens? Could you fence in a larger area and let your dog in with them when they free range? A carport is actually a great idea for shelter, protection and shade. Make sure to put 1/2" hardware cloth at least 12" in the ground for digging protection. Use welded wire for strength with hardware cloth not only below ground but place it at least 3 foot high too on the walls. Now, if you have hawk problems as well, put up some old patio or beach umbrellas in the pen. I use them and don't have any more hawk problems. HINT: paint a couple pairs of eyes on them.

Our coops (a 2nd smaller is behind) has 4ft fencing on 3 sides with a 7ft in the back. The kennel has 5ft fencing on 3 sides with side closest to poultry 7ft tall. I know this setup is different from what I stated to do but this has worked for us for over 3 years so far.
20201201_154751.jpg
20201122_082404.jpg

Last edited:
People who consider their domesticated animals more important than the native, wild animals aren't looking at the bigger picture. We have chickens. We live surrounded by forest. We protect the chickens with fences and buildings and if the foxes, raccoons, skunk, mink, ringtail, bobcat, etc get at them, its our own fault and we fix the fences, holes in floor, etc. We don't just kill the culprits then the next culprit then the next culprit ad nauseum. Its our responsibility to build and fix and encage unless we are outside working and can keep an eye out. Our hens are trained to come to a calling and shaking of the seed can to be put away with treats when we can't be around anymore. Our dog sleeps outside, and our dogs always have (40 years now) with no harm to them. Its their job to waken us to bears, foxes, the horse herd breaking in, etc. We appreciate the wild animals around and they try to live with us. They were here before us.

Back
Top Bottom