Red Golden Distress Cont. HELP

beccers099

Chirping
8 Years
May 27, 2011
Pennsylvania
Ok. If you don't know what's up there is another thread that is "red golden in distress". Please read that before this....

Anyway...the little guy is still alive!...but I swear he acts like he had a stroke. Barely lifts his head. if he tries it swings to one side...he can't stabilize it. he's still laying on his side. I made a band-aid thingy to connect the two legs together to try to make him exercise the other one but he keeps going on one side and just laying there. He is fully aleart and looks around and peeps and everything. I don't know if forcing him to try to use his other leg and raise his head will help or if i should ...sigh ...(end things)...he's over 24 hrs old by now.
hit.gif

I don't know what to tell you. Have you asked on the regular chicken boards? I know he/she is a pheasant, but when you get down to it, most all chicks are the same. I would check back on here though before you give any medications.

Do you give your newly hatched birds vitamins and electrolytes?If not you should once a week.Also,what are you feeding them?They should be getting gamebird crumble unmedicated.
In N.H.,Tony.

Last edited:
He was like this from birth...theres another thread with all the details and pics..."red golden in distress) others are peachy and yes...we have that......

OMG OMG OMG!!!!! Ok...I got desperate and figured hat if he was going to die anyway I was going to try a hail Mary!...I grabbed him...first tried to bind his good leg so he would have to try to use bad one...didn't work....so I was feeling so bad but basically was a bit mean I guess...I kept messing with him. I held him at all sorts of weird angles trying to force him to squirm and move his head in diff positions and was putting him on his back to make him freak out a bit and kick like crazy and when bad leg was moving I'd grab it with my fingers and pull back and forth to create resistance...after a while I was feeling really bad and like a Meany...so I put him back in the incubator after a few drops of water.....WELL....my kids just ran to me shouting that he stood up for a whole 5 seconds!...I didn't believe them cause they knew that I was considering putting him down in the next few days and I thought they wanted me to think he was improving...but low and behold...he's crooked as can be but is somewhat upright!!!!!....he's trying to walk and keeps going on his side and falling asleep but is moving!...his head is still totally floppy but slightly better....going to continue tough love treatments and hope he improves and I don't scare him to death!...WITH ME LUCK!

I put in another chick in with my little weak one last night. I was hoping that he's teach him how to eat and drink like what was suggested. Unfortunately I think that it was too late. He was doing so great last night but this morning when I checked on him he was gone. I think it had to have been while he was sleeping, that's the position he was in. I don't know if it was from his problems or treatment to strengthen or if it took to long and i didn't get enough water in him to last till he was able to do it on his own....thanks for your help guys.

Back
Top Bottom