Red Golden Pheasant Sexing Chicks

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by soroco, Apr 18, 2012.

1. soroco

soroco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2012
    Van Buren Co MID TN
    Have 5 eggs due to hatch the 3rd of next month. How can I identify their sex at the earliest time possible? Thanks for your help in advance

2. adshea

adshea Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2012
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Hi there, I have golden pheasants. You can tell straight away from their eye colour. The males always have yellow eyes and the females dark brown. Hope this helps :)

3. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    When I use to have red goldens the males eye colour wasn't appearant straight away but by about 6 weeks they lightened up.

4. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    x's 2.Never could see the difference until a few weeks went by.They say the amherst is the same,but even on older birds about 12 weeks old,out of 6 birds which I could have sworn the were all males turned out to be 2 males and 4 hens.
    In N.H.,Tony.

5. soroco

soroco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2012
    Van Buren Co MID TN
    I'm a bit confused not sure what to do. Think I'll look at eyes at hatch and hope for no yellow in any eyes that way if 6 or eight weeks latter I can sell all males I was wrong about. That might be interesting.

6. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    What's the big rush to sex them?If they came from the same breeder they may be related.
    In N.H.,Tony.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by