red hen turning white

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lovemypetchicks, Nov 13, 2009.

1. lovemypetchicks

lovemypetchicks New Egg

Jul 14, 2009
    My red hen has white spots all over. Now her wing feathers are baren. only the quills are left ! Is this a parasite? parts of her are losing all the feathers. I don't see anything should I "dust " her with something? Thanks for any help I appreciate it ![​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  2. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    How old is she?

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    On the one hand it sounds like a molt; on the other it sounds like something odd. Could you post photos?

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I would check her for mites and treat her with a product like 'Dri-Kill' which is a generic treatment with rotenone and sulfur that kills mites, ticks and lice,be sure to dust well around the vent and under her wings...

You will have to dust your entire coop after cleaning it.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  5. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Without pictures it sounds to me like a molt. Of course its always a good idea to monitor for mites and lice.

Could the white spots be the sheath that surrounds new feathers as they emerge?

6. LynneP

Good point but would a molt leave the feather shaft bare? Could be both- a molt and a pest.

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    It's probably molt. When the pin feathers start coming back in, it can be mistaken for a shaft. They look very similar.

8. LynneP

Good point so she would benefit from extra protein either way...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by