red in yolk..??

rudays chickens

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
bloomington
Okay yesterday I cracked open one of my eggs that I Had in the fridge and in the yolk there was some brown thing like some kind of string and a couple dots of brown
made me think of old blood so I put it off to the side and didnt eat it.
Now today I got out fresh eggs from the coop and cracked open each egg and now that the egg never made it to the fridge one of the eggs had bright colored blood in the yolk just a small bit of it.I have never had this happen before so I dont know what it is of course I am thinking the worst but why would there be blood in the egg in the yolk??
It looks like blood so I am guessing it is blood.

Meat spots and blood spotting occurs once in a while. It just means that a small blood vessel ruptured somewhere in the hen along the egg making path. It is nothing to worry about.

Most folks just pick out a meat spot and eat the rest of the egg. One of the eggs I ate this morning had a little blood. I just mixed it in and cooked. I know which bantam hen laid the egg and actually ate both of her's that I had. The second was normal.

Matt

so is it a bad thing and we shouldnt eat them I mean could it possible in any way be anything else cause the egg didnt look fertle and the roosters are bantam and young and the hens are big girls and I dont belive they are letting them get near them yet so how exactly did they start to develop
sorry if its is a dumb question but the bantams are still new to flock to so the hens still run the roost.

I pick the spot out and eat mine anyway.
Not ever sure you need to pick the spot out.

I get blood spots in my eggs once in a while and they're not fertile (no roo). I just pick them out, or if they're tiny, leave them in and eat them. No big deal.

But the other day my husband cracked an egg for breakfast and a big portion of the white was bloody and I mean bloody. It freaked him out something fierce and the egg got tossed. Eeek.

Thanks guys
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom