Red Junglefowl - looking for general info

I don't know, but my cousin is very good with chickens and I trust her judgement.
If you can take close side view pictures, it will be helpful. But, chances are high that the birds your cousin is giving you are chickens. If that is the case, you would keep them the same way as you would for any other chicken.

Well, even if they aren't real junglefowl I would still like to learn more about true junglefowl. What do you all know about them?
They are susceptible and perish easily to chicken diseases; the chicks are slow growing/maturing; they are very skittish and can hurt themselves (open scalp) trying to escape; if you release one from your hands, they are in the air and gone just like what a dove or sparrow would do; they lay 5-6 eggs per clutch; lays eggs only in the spring like birds do; 1 or 2 broods per year; when frightened, their feathers become loose (likely an escape mechanism for predators) and you can quickly have a naked bird if you are not careful handling them. They are a headache.

Last edited:
Those with a small amount of Brown Leghorn admixture currently sold by at least one commercial hatchery are decidedly crow like in terms of smarts. They also mature slowly. Clutch size averages a little higher in range of 8 to 10 eggs. They are calmer than the pure jungle fowl by default although both forms likely will respond hand rearing to promote a calmer mature bird. The mixed variety does not make good use of protections from predators when compared to American Games. The jungle fowl attempt to fly rather than hold grown in cover which is bad when raptors involved.

Back
Top Bottom