Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

A large fowl Black Cornish hatched from using a WC of Herring blood over my DC hens. With him used over one of my double laced blue females, I can develop a blue line, though guessing they might have a tendency to throw some males with red on their necks or shoulders. Both of the mentioned project colors I have [I'm calling them that because the APA doesn't recognize them in the large fowl Cornish] carry recessive white; about 1/4 of their chicks will be white. I like raising the White Cornish best; both because that variety is rare or endangered and they dress out as a cleaner looking bird when plucked..

ohh i like this girl!
droolin.gif

see i really like the dark blue with the red, its much cleaner looking i think, i really like her, good thing you dont live close to me here in alberta or i would be over there trying to chikinnap her!
gig.gif

see i really like the dark blue with the red, its much cleaner looking i think, i really like her, good thing you dont live close to me here in alberta or i would be over there trying to chikinnap her!
gig.gif
Single blue laced is an accepted color in Cornish bantams, and the SOP does call for dark blue lacing on them.

The F2 Cornish Rocky chicks are mostly white, though some show some black or blue leaking and I get the occasional chick that is colored. This one is blue barred.

He's a big and pretty meaty chick and looks much bigger than the same age Cornish chick to the right,and the one peaking around him on the other side, but they're actually quite a bit heavier.

Last edited:
Thats really cool, I wonder how he will grow out.
The F2 Cornish Rocky chicks are mostly white, though some show some black or blue leaking and I get the occasional chick that is colored. This one is blue barred.

He's a big and pretty meaty chick and looks much bigger than the same age Cornish chick to the right,and the one peaking around him on the other side, but they're actually quite a bit heavier.

I wonder how he will grow out.
idunno.gif

Naturally, with their parents being the a cross of birds of such opposite type [Ameraucana and white commercial broilers a.k.a. Cornish Rocks] there is some diversity in the F2s. LOL So far though they are all faster growing and more meaty than Ameraucanas. LOL Actually they look much like their parents which also have some closer to others in regards to what I envision for them to be. As far as color, my guess is his adult pattern will surely be cuckoo and will not have the well organized barring of a show quality Barred Plymouth Rock. My CX breeders had what I called 'ghost barring in their adult feathering'; almost like barring of off-white on white, so this chick's color was not really much of a surprise. I'm looking to breed them white but will keep any other colors if an individual has the utility traits that I desire. The chicks in this project are going to get even more diverse in type and color starting this year, because a few pullets that are 1/4 Black Ameraucana and 3/4 Dark Cornish are going in a pen under the better of the two F1, Ameraucana X Cornish Rock males which are both white with only one copy of dominant white. These next pullets going into the project look closer to a true Cornish in type but have muffs. That white pullet you liked is already being used. They look small compared to the other cross but are heavy chested little buggers that weigh a lot more than they appear to.

Wow, I hope they turn out good. So are you working on a dark colored one along with a white one?
idunno.gif

Naturally, with their parents being the a cross of birds of such opposite type [Ameraucana and white commercial broilers a.k.a. Cornish Rocks] there is some diversity in the F2s. LOL So far though they are all faster growing and more meaty than Ameraucanas. LOL Actually they look much like their parents which also have some closer to others in regards to what I envision for them to be. As far as color, my guess is his adult pattern will surely be cuckoo and will not have the well organized barring of a show quality Barred Plymouth Rock. My CX breeders had what I called 'ghost barring in their adult feathering'; almost like barring of off-white on white, so this chick's color was not really much of a surprise. I'm looking to breed them white but will keep any other colors if an individual has the utility traits that I desire. The chicks in this project are going to get even more diverse in type and color starting this year, because a few pullets that are 1/4 Black Ameraucana and 3/4 Dark Cornish are going in a pen under the better of the two F1, Ameraucana X Cornish Rock males which are both white with only one copy of dominant white. These next pullets going into the project look closer to a true Cornish in type but have muffs. That white pullet you liked is already being used. They look small compared to the other cross but are heavy chested little buggers that weigh a lot more than they appear to.

Back
Top Bottom