Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

Quote:
Be sure to share the pic if you get it, I would love to see it.
As for you question regarding qualities I am trying to avoid: first I am trying to size down the CX's I have, extend their growing time and wind up with an edible AND breedable bird. I am just guessing, but adding a heavily muscled bird back in at this juncture seems counter productive to my goal. Also I want more height; longer legs. I haven't seen a Cornish roo that I think could get up on my monster girls. And I want a bird that feathers out quickly then puts on growth, allowing them to be kicked out of the brooder at the earliest age possible. I may still use cornish hens under the roos I come up with, but that will be next year if I do . . . still debating that step.
big_smile.png
thanks for asking!

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation . I'm supposed to get some hatchery WLRC tomorrow , which I'm prepared to not like
tongue.png
. Nice thing about playing at breeding chickens as a hobby , you can just eat anything you don't like
lol.png
. I'll give the breeder a few more days then drop him a reminder . I'll post a pic of his birds if I think they're nice .

Quote:
Yeah, that's a distinct advantage. I've put plenty of poor choices in the freezer!

I'm wondering, too, about hardiness differences between varieties of Cornish. I like the dark, but I've considered the WLR's. My DC roo seems to have long enough legs to breed well. I'd like a bigger one, but mostly, it's the body shape I'm looking for. My DC hens were all just tiny. I had four, I only have one left. Two, though good brooders, turned out to be psycho-moms. I gave them, and a very nice rooster, to a neighbor down the road. I thought that maybe with no other birds for competition, and a quieter environment, they might do ok as moms. But the next day, one of his nearby neighbor's dogs killed all three birds. Then, a weasel or mink, something in that family, got into the coop one night, and it killed about 14 birds, including my best and favorite DC hen. So now I just have the one. I'm planning to hatch as many of her eggs as I can this season, so I'll have some more pure DC's. Or as pure as I can manage with hatchery stock birds, anyway.

I prefer birds that aren't pure white, they last longer out here. The white ones just glow like beacons to the predators. For some reason, the ones with black tails and some color or barring on the heads, don't seem to have the same problem. I don't know if it's because the dark areas break up the profile enough that they aren't recognized, or what.

Quote:
Yeah, that's a distinct advantage. I've put plenty of poor choices in the freezer!

I'm wondering, too, about hardiness differences between varieties of Cornish. I like the dark, but I've considered the WLR's. My DC roo seems to have long enough legs to breed well. I'd like a bigger one, but mostly, it's the body shape I'm looking for. My DC hens were all just tiny. I had four, I only have one left. Two, though good brooders, turned out to be psycho-moms. I gave them, and a very nice rooster, to a neighbor down the road. I thought that maybe with no other birds for competition, and a quieter environment, they might do ok as moms. But the next day, one of his nearby neighbor's dogs killed all three birds. Then, a weasel or mink, something in that family, got into the coop one night, and it killed about 14 birds, including my best and favorite DC hen. So now I just have the one. I'm planning to hatch as many of her eggs as I can this season, so I'll have some more pure DC's. Or as pure as I can manage with hatchery stock birds, anyway.

I prefer birds that aren't pure white, they last longer out here. The white ones just glow like beacons to the predators. For some reason, the ones with black tails and some color or barring on the heads, don't seem to have the same problem. I don't know if it's because the dark areas break up the profile enough that they aren't recognized, or what.

Must be something Mother Nature has against white , because even on open ground where natural colors are very visible the predators still go for the whites .
At least as day olds , the WLRCs from Schlecht are the same size and have the same wide shank , wide stance as the CXs . The EEs are noticably larger , but with more narrow shanks and stance . Of course I know there will be major changes in the next couple of weeks .

I have some in the incubator from a breeder right now due 5/14 he said that Privett has the best Hatchery birds. When they hatch I'll post some pictures too. I'm very interested in how any of them look in pics not drawings....I very seldom see any breeders on here.

i keep hearing to stay away from hatchery dark cornish so, could someone point me in ithe right direction for breeder stock?
any help would be appreciated.

Quote:
Good luck in finding breeders . I've been looking for several months . I PMed a guy on this forum that breeds them , but no answer . I'll post a pic of the birds if the breeder that's only a couple hundred miles from me ever gets back to me . The pic used by the hatchery I ordered from is definately not of one of their birds ; I recognised it as being from a show results pic in CA and listed as being bred by a west coast breeder
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom