Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

Thought I would pass this along. You have to get to the second paragragh to figure out why I posted it here.

Eugene V. Imwalle, age 80 of St. Rt. 119, Maria Stein, Ohio, died 11:25 PM on Monday, November 25, 2013 at his home. He was born on May 11, 1933 in Maria Stein, Ohio to the late William H. and the late Elizabeth (Huelskamp) Imwalle. He married Doris Hartings on May 10, 1958 in St. Rose, Ohio. She survives in Maria Stein. He is also survived by children Gary & Christle Imwalle, Waynesville, Ohio, Angie & Jon Tirpak, Mount Pleasant, SC, Lisa & Duane Newton, Ann Arbor, MI, grandchildren Katherine & Hannah Imwalle, Nicola, Natasha & Nathan Tirpak, Maria & Patrick Newton, sister Matilda Stammen, St. Henry, brother, Edward & Janet Imwalle, The Villages, FL, in-laws, Dorothy Imwalle, Maria Stein, Martha & Richard Scherer, St. Marys, Phyllis Imwalle, Dayton. He was preceded in death by sister Armella Baumer & brothers, Louis, Walter, Herbert Alfred & Fred. He was a member of St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, the Men's Sodality of the Church and the Maria Stein American Legion. He served our country in the US Army and was retired from Midmark after 39 years of service. Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 10:30 Saturday, November, 30, 2013 at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church with Rev. Tom Brenberger celebrant. Friends may call at the Hogenkamp Funeral Home, Minster from 1:00 PM to 6:00 PM on Friday, November 29, and from 9:00 to 10:00 AM on Saturday, November 30. Burial will take place in St. John Cemetery with full military honors. Condolences may be made at www.hogenkampfh.com.

Eugene met and befriended Charlie Hurd while working at Goodyear in St. Marys, early in his career. Through Charlie he started his lifetime association (some would say affliction) with Cornish chickens. Settling on large fowl white Cornish as his direction. Charlie also introduced him to another long time friend and mentor Lewis Strait. Many a time these men would get together to discuss the merits of their birds, breeding strategies, general fellowship, and all around BS sessions.

Eugene showed his first bird at the age of 70 with the encouragement and help of his 11 year old grand-daughter, who had become very active in 4H poultry showing. After selling his birds a couple years ago as his health would no longer allow him to take care of them, this same grand-daughter, by then a Ohio State student, spotted some very typey white Cornish bantams in the sale cages at the Ohio Nationals. She wondered if they would not make Grand Pa some very nice house chickens. Grand Ma did not think so.

I'd like to think that Eugene has made his way over to the Cornish corner, rejoined some old friends, and some good stories are being told.

Thought I would pass this along. You have to get to the second paragragh to figure out why I posted it here.

Eugene V. Imwalle, age 80 of St. Rt. 119, Maria Stein, Ohio, died 11:25 PM on Monday, November 25, 2013 at his home. He was born on May 11, 1933 in Maria Stein, Ohio to the late William H. and the late Elizabeth (Huelskamp) Imwalle. He married Doris Hartings on May 10, 1958 in St. Rose, Ohio. She survives in Maria Stein. He is also survived by children Gary & Christle Imwalle, Waynesville, Ohio, Angie & Jon Tirpak, Mount Pleasant, SC, Lisa & Duane Newton, Ann Arbor, MI, grandchildren Katherine & Hannah Imwalle, Nicola, Natasha & Nathan Tirpak, Maria & Patrick Newton, sister Matilda Stammen, St. Henry, brother, Edward & Janet Imwalle, The Villages, FL, in-laws, Dorothy Imwalle, Maria Stein, Martha & Richard Scherer, St. Marys, Phyllis Imwalle, Dayton. He was preceded in death by sister Armella Baumer & brothers, Louis, Walter, Herbert Alfred & Fred. He was a member of St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, the Men's Sodality of the Church and the Maria Stein American Legion. He served our country in the US Army and was retired from Midmark after 39 years of service. Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 10:30 Saturday, November, 30, 2013 at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church with Rev. Tom Brenberger celebrant. Friends may call at the Hogenkamp Funeral Home, Minster from 1:00 PM to 6:00 PM on Friday, November 29, and from 9:00 to 10:00 AM on Saturday, November 30. Burial will take place in St. John Cemetery with full military honors. Condolences may be made at www.hogenkampfh.com.

Eugene met and befriended Charlie Hurd while working at Goodyear in St. Marys, early in his career. Through Charlie he started his lifetime association (some would say affliction) with Cornish chickens. Settling on large fowl white Cornish as his direction. Charlie also introduced him to another long time friend and mentor Lewis Strait. Many a time these men would get together to discuss the merits of their birds, breeding strategies, general fellowship, and all around BS sessions.

Eugene showed his first bird at the age of 70 with the encouragement and help of his 11 year old grand-daughter, who had become very active in 4H poultry showing. After selling his birds a couple years ago as his health would no longer allow him to take care of them, this same grand-daughter, by then a Ohio State student, spotted some very typey white Cornish bantams in the sale cages at the Ohio Nationals. She wondered if they would not make Grand Pa some very nice house chickens. Grand Ma did not think so.

I'd like to think that Eugene has made his way over to the Cornish corner, rejoined some old friends, and some good stories are being told.

I am looking for some large meat birds that are at least 9 lbs. Can anyone tell me if the dark cornish or another bird is something I want to look at please? I have only had a few laying chickens since last spring and now I would like some meat birds.
big_smile.png

Hello!

I know this thread is about "Red Laced Cornish" but some of you may be working with breeds that deal with Columbian Pattern. There are a lot of things that you can share, or have questions that deal strictly with the Columbian Pattern. I am opening a new thread and hope that those who raise Columbian patterned birds will join in and help everyone learn from their experiences.

The thread will be called "
“Building and Working With the Columbian Patterned Birds".

Hope to see some of you there.

Rob

Yes, he is a handsome fellow. I had one like him too this year, from the group I got as eggs from you, but he was not as chunky though.

I did get some really chunky girls though, that will be in my breeding pen this year!

good, chunky stocky built pullets seem to be a hard find with the BM breeding lines.

Seems to me not bothersome though, as most of the females remain alive, and typically are out numbered 2 to 1.

Guess that isn't all that bad with my goals of eating...

I ended up with a blue laced, and a black laced this year that I think are really good big bodied pullets. They'll be leading breeders for next year.

Back
Top Bottom