Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

I've really struggled to sell breeding birds here lately. They're too old for my eating taste, and don't feel much like giving them away.

The 3 Brahmas sure are big, fluffy birds!

I usually don't have any problems selling eaters. I have a nearby meat buyer who is happy to take any of the Cornish or extra Brahma Cockerels I want to let loose. I have also had good success selling meat birds directly to consumers at a small local swap we have twice a month during the warmer months. A surprising number of buyers are of Hispanic, or Asian ethnicity.

I have no qualms selling extra, lesser quality cockerels, or older hens, or cocks, for eaters. But pullets, and good quality cockerels that would be better served helping some one set up their own meat flock, I would rather not sell as eaters. The pullets sell, often going into mixed back yard flocks, a waste of their genetic potential, but they earn their keep.

I have seven week old Dark Cornish chicks and i want to keep some as breeders.. At what age will they be developed enough i can cull out the freezer birds from the keepers?

I have seven week old Dark Cornish chicks and i want to keep some as breeders.. At what age will they be developed enough i can cull out the freezer birds from the keepers?
A question that is nearly impossible to answer. Cornish are slow growing birds, thus taking longer than most people would prefer.

The best answer is decide what your goal is- if your goal is to raise butcher birds, then cull at the point that you'll butcher them. if your goal is for production, then cull at point of lay.

Varies somewhat by line and conditions.

But what I would do is get some leg bands, and mark the birds of both sexes that reach butchering size first, so you can distinguish them later. Often times the birds that mature to a smaller adult finished size will mature quicker, but not always. Usually the truly big boys late longer to get there, so keep that in mind too.

If these are just for your own use, then you can decide what appeals to your eye beyond carcass development, but I would recommend looking at pictures of good quality Cornish to help you get a feel for what proper type is. Especially if you are entertaining thoughts of maybe selling some down the road.

I know I didn't answer your question, but there are several variables to consider. Some things like maybe bad feet, or crooked bill, would put some one on the freezer list as soon as big enough. A crappy personality will do it as well for me, especially on a male.

You will have to weigh your options, like if it's worth waiting for a little extra final size, or go with a smaller, quicker to mature male to head up your breeding pen. I put extra effort into the male as every chick will carry his genes. The females you have a little more flexibility to experiment with, and you can keep next years breeders from the ones you guessed right.

I still have mine, have about eight whites, a trio of darks, and a few blue laced reds still around. Have several that were hatched this year as well.

Had a great year selling off extra breeding stock, as I just had too many around. Hatching wasn't all that great this year, but I was also quite a bit more slack than I have been in the past.

Birds have shut down laying for this year, would say it's been about a month since I've gotten any Cornish eggs now. Matter of fact, the last eggs that were laid hatched this week.

Really impressed with my year old, and new chicks- certainly making progress.

Did lose my biggest batch of white chicks- they were 3 weeks old and I just moved them into an outside pen. Rained that night and they were too dumb to find shelter- lost them all. That was a couple weeks ago.

Happy for all the good stuff that's gone in with you and your endeavors. Sorry for the bad stuff, mainly the hatching problems.

I've had bad hatches this year also. It seems that it was a bad year for hatching. I have on a few, 30 on to try to hatch in early October. Trying to see if it is going to get any better. These are going to be my Naked Neck Easter Eggers.

Back
Top Bottom