Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

I finally found my digital scale today . I weighed only two birds : an EE cockeral and the Ameraucana X CX , both at 6 weeks , 3 days of age . The EE was 1 lb even ; the Am X CX [ I'm leaning towards pullet ] was 2 lbs , 2 oz . That isn't very good compared to a CX , but more than twice the male EE , so I'm reasonably satisfied .

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi Al,
Did you get hens from the show bred White Rock rooster over a Cornish cross hen cross? If so are they laying yet and how well?

Joe

Well I did get some hen's 4 exactly from that cross, they are at POL now but haven't gotten an egg yet, they are big I would say around 5-7lbs and wide as well, they too show alot of promise and I feel that the best of their bulk is yet to come in maybe 3 more wks, and they were hatched also in july, I am waiting on their eggs now, they are by themselfs until they start to lay then I will decide who to put them with. I really want to put them back with these XX roo's and I may put 2 hen's & a roo and then 2 hen's and a different rooster to get a good control group.

AL

Last edited:
Picking up some more Cornish this Saturday, and swapping some project Roo's to a close friend with the same idea's as I in mind, we are working as a team this year to get more numbers on the ground, while concentrating on getting more & better quality Standard Cornish Whites on the ground. This year is looking up and I am very excited about the opportunity.

AL

I'm culling on Tue. the big roo that I am so proud of is going to have to go he has gotten so agressive. on the bright side we'll know what he weighs!

hmmm, he is somewhere around 11 months, I'm going to guess between 15-18 lbs and getting meaner everyday. He was really nice but a switch went off in him and he just won't back down anymore.
He has had hens since he has been about 12 weeks old and has no competition but suddenly wants to kill ME. He actually put a hole in my new rubber boots, now how hard do you have to hit a rubber boot with a beak to put a hole in it???? I limped for two days after he got me just under the knee cap. For safety's sake he has to go.

Quote:
Whew, sounds like a personality conflict
lau.gif

Send him to Al to breed with a couple of his hens then you can have a block party!
lau.gif
gig.gif

Joe

yuckyuck.gif
LoL. Block party!

Does anyone have any experience on this thread with the Freedom Rangers? How much they eat compared to a CX, About what age they start laying, etc? I'm excited to get mine, but bummed because now I have to wait the big wait all over again...
hmm.png
tongue.png
lol.png
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom