Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

Quote:
Morning Charley............... After our talk the other day I did as I always do and spent some extra time with the birds and found 2 white hen's from a few hatches ago who I haven't looked at much, but they actually look promising. I have given allot of thought to Thorton's accessment of those dark WLR's and their bigger frames and bodies, it's intriguing.

I do have to change those water pan's more often cause they get so soiled from the birds wading in them and all the splashing out of water is drawing more fly's from the exccess moisture around the pan's. Extra hay, more DE is a big help, Those big fans you saw in my coop really help too, just having moving air helps with the panting.

AL

I have lots of trees for shade, and pans for them to stand in. I also added a small kiddie pool that they can get in if they want, and if it gets REALLY hot I turn on the sprinklers in the pens for a while, that usually helps cool the ambient temperature, and also creates mud holes and damp soil for bathing.
smile.png

Thank you, Charlie, for the tip on the wadeing pans. I had both a shallow drinking pan [that they could have used for wadeing] and deeper pan in the portable pen that suffered the loss..................... but both were located in the unshaded portion of the pen.
he.gif

That pen has had the larger juvies transferred to the main pen, and now has a shade cloth added tthat covers the entire pen. Interestindly, the younger birds that started feathering in this heat have feathered very scantily; I suppose as long as they avoid sunburn they are cooler, but are sure ugly with their nearly naked necks and bodies. I started adding ice bottles to the water, and wet the shade cloth twice daily. My CX breeder pullets, down to 22 after the owl attack, have been thriving in this weather. They too were moved to a larger pen and have the cooler coop floor to dig sand baths in, but several times I've actually caught them outside basking in the sun when all my other birds were seeking the shade....................... kinda weird that they seem to be enjoying the sun.................. but they do seek the shade of the sand floored coop during the hottest time of the day.

[I did loose two more juvies due to my carelessness; a young male Ameraucana I had marked for keeping as a breeder wandered to the hottest portion of the pen where I had left a livecatch trap, and was caught there while I was spending time with my mother. Naturally it succumbed to the heat. A Silver Ameraucana flew out of the top door of the cage when I opened it to transfer birds to a bigger pen, ran through an opening my pup tore in the mosquito netting that surrounds it, and dissappeared into the woods.]

Greatest thing of all, after I prayed for Divine intervention; we had a break in the heat and a bit of rain a couple of days ago, and this morning is in the 70s with another, more substantial rain.
woot.gif
I pray He gives you all a break also.

Now.................................What's become of KatyTheChickenLady?

Quote:
Seems you got the same nice break in the heat that I did, Im amazed that I havent lost any of my CX grow outs to the heat, Im thinking about keeping back all of the pullets and possibly one stag for breeding, I have an awesome Buckeye Wyandotte cross that I would put the stag over, she is the fastest growing and largest bird of my last hatch of buckeyes and orpingtons and the best part is she has little to no comb and wattles.

Last edited:
Quote:
I hope she's large bodied; my CX roo was simply too large to get in the proper position for live breeding on my Ameraucanas and EEs, though he was healthy enough and often tried. You may have to A.I..

Another bit of fortune for me ; my escaped Silver Ameraucana chick returned today after three days of living the feral life. He was sitting on top of the cage he escaped from, about a 4 foot flight from the ground. [I had been leaving the mosquito net open and an aluminum pie pan of water on the ground near the cage. Something had upset the little pan, but I thought it was the wind, and had not refilled it. Evidently he was attracted to the few remaining younger chicks in the cage and/or their water.] Naturally he flew away as I approached, but I grabbed my leg hook, and hooked a leg before he escaped back to the woods. He seemed quite thirsty, but otherwise none the worse for his experience.
ya.gif

Quote:
I hope she's large bodied; my CX roo was simply too large to get in the proper position for live breeding on my Ameraucanas and EEs, though he was healthy enough and often tried. You may have to A.I..

Another bit of fortune for me ; my escaped Silver Ameraucana chick returned today after three days of living the feral life. He was sitting on top of the cage he escaped from, about a 4 foot flight from the ground. [I had been leaving the mosquito net open and an aluminum pie pan of water on the ground near the cage. Something had upset the little pan, but I thought it was the wind, and had not refilled it. Evidently he was attracted to the few remaining younger chicks in the cage and/or their water.] Naturally he flew away as I approached, but I grabbed my leg hook, and hooked a leg before he escaped back to the woods. He seemed quite thirsty, but otherwise none the worse for his experience.
ya.gif

Thats great that you got your Ameraucana chick back.
heres the pullet, hatched in late may
P1070531.jpg

Quote:

ya.gif

Thats great that you got your Ameraucana chick back.
heres the pullet, hatched in late may
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii236/jalden2/P1070531.jpg

She looks exactly like my Brownie from my Katy babies.
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom