Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

Quote:
I know we caught you at a bad time but I still hold to my original opinion. The issues you mention would be difficult to overcome and I have the upmost respect for your efforts with the Cornish. The thing is you can focus on type and fertility because you don't have to worry about a pattern. Imagine having to work out all those issues and not lose a pattern on top of that? That complicates things even more which was all I was getting at.

Personally I don't like white birds they look too industrial for me. And yes predators are problem, so no when I have my own breeding project I won't have white birds. But when you talk about the homesteader and the exhibitor its apples and oranges. However if I was to start showing Id have whites for the exact reason I listed above.

Yes Jared in that respect it is much easier not having to worry about color and lacing obstacles, Yes white is pretty generic and bland I don't have to worry about preditors as I don't free range at all. One of my main reasons for staying dedicated to the whites is the rarity of the good ones so I decided to stick with them. I do like messing with the WLR's and Darks cause when you get it right it feels pretty good to have some decent stuff, LOL but boy do you have to go through some birds to get to that point. I personaly think there is no finer sight than a well put together and correctly laced WLR, they are just awesome.

Sorry about the previous post guy's, sometimes I get defensive of the breed.

AL

Quote:
I can see where my comment about white being the easiest to work with can be taken out of context. I meant that my opinion is that the color is easier to breed, not the bird carrying the color. If White Cornish are difficult to find and breed, it's not my fault.

I know Steve I got that part........................... easy is what most folks want, it's just the way of the world, no big deal.

A.T. Hagan :

If I do use him I'll put him over my largest Cornish hens and see what happens.

A.T.,
Somewhere way back in the thread when Al was discussing his project pen, Pure White Cornish X Cornish/Rock there was discussion about CX leg and foot issues.

If you are going to put your Shamo on your largest Cornish hen I would also put him on some White CX hens.
Joe​

CX pullets being rationed to raise for breeding. They're 9 weeks old tomorrow, and weighing 6 oz either side of 4 lbs. I'm happy with their weight and appearance. They're a bit dirty due to useing a wet sand bath area they have made.

44349_chickens_115.jpg

44349_chickens_114.jpg

44349_chickens_110.jpg

DC X Black Ameraucana, 11 weeks old today. I had him in my pen with the purebred Ameraucanas and caught him from behind when trying to get the best Black Ameraucana for kfacres. I knew the minute I picked him up " This ain't no Ameraucana." LOL He has scant muffs and a beard, and on close examination too hard feathered for an Ameraucana, but much heavier than the purebreds even though he looks to be the same size. He's now in the pen with the older birds. I didn't get his weight, but I'm sure it isn't impressive; his mother was actually too small to make the grade as a LF Ameraucana.

44349_chickens_116.jpg

44349_chickens_119.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
How do the DCs from Sand's look? Pics?

This is my first time with Cornish so I am not a good judge of the breed yet. So far however I like them right well. They are chunky, solid birds. Too young yet to tell much more. From looking at photos of DC show bred birds mine have too much leg length, but that is part of why I went with Steve's since I want them to still be able to mate naturally.

My only complaint with them so far is they are flighty in nature like Leghorns, but I don't know if that is a breed characteristic or just in this strain. I'm happy enough with them to keep on with the project. If I put the Red Baron (what my daughter named the Shamo cockerel) over the hens they ought to produce some mighty drumsticks.

I like the idea of putting him over some Cornish X hens too if I can keep any alive long enough to breed. I've kept chickens for many years, but haven't kept the hybrid meat birds before so I'll have to scale the learning curve like everyone else in that area.

I'll probably buy the motor for the Whizbang this week.

A.T. Hagan :

Quote:
How do the DCs from Sand's look? Pics?

This is my first time with Cornish so I am not a good judge of the breed yet. So far however I like them right well. They are chunky, solid birds. Too young yet to tell much more. From looking at photos of DC show bred birds mine have too much leg length, but that is part of why I went with Steve's since I want them to still be able to mate naturally.

My only complaint with them so far is they are flighty in nature like Leghorns, but I don't know if that is a breed characteristic or just in this strain. I'm happy enough with them to keep on with the project. If I put the Red Baron (what my daughter named the Shamo cockerel) over the hens they ought to produce some mighty drumsticks.

I like the idea of putting him over some Cornish X hens too if I can keep any alive long enough to breed. I've kept chickens for many years, but haven't kept the hybrid meat birds before so I'll have to scale the learning curve like everyone else in that area.

I'll probably buy the motor for the Whizbang this week.​

My two DCs were very calm birds, actually often underfoot, but I had the feeling they had been handled alot from their beginning. My hatchery sourced WLRs were dead opposite to that; most skittish birds in the pen, and fought me like wildcats when caught.

Any one cross a red broiler ( redbro etc) to a white broiler (cornish cross etc)? If so any photos and what was the result???

Quote:
Not my own breeding, but saw one that was 1/4 CX and 1/2 FR. The FRs can suffer the same problems as CX but at a bit older age, so I've decided not to do that cross myself.

Back
Top Bottom