Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

If you have any other requests, let me know in the next 12 hours... as I'm meeting my mom tomorrow and all the birds are going down south until we get moved into the new house, and a bird house built...
My only request is to make it from the front and include the entire chest area of him. The darker Big Med crossbred had the black or near black single lacing that the other recently pictured bird appears to have on his lower body under and behind the wings when I finally clicked on it for a better look, and fainter on the shoulders; the DC never, even when much younger and still with me, and can't as he is a true double laced dark. The dark crossbred had a very beautifully laced chest, but the dark Cornish will not. I'll be on the road to get that pair of whites to you along with my personal apology, if I've been mistaken, right after I see the picture. Big Med's dark cross did turn out to be a late bloomer and very,very nice now, such a dark blue that he looks black laced. You do have a younger cockerel with near correct color, but leggy and still much slimmer than either of the crossbred adults are.

Last edited:
I can't always trust my memory. Maybe you can't either.
you never answered my question- when did you stop by? You know details of penning assigments that only someone who could have seen in person, or pictures would know... and I have not taken any pictures.

PS. you might not know as much as you think you do about my darks.
clap.gif

You don't have a very good memory of what birds you saw in what pens when you were here. Your description is about as far off as anything has been penned all summer and fall.
Please listen. I want to put to an end to this drama. My laptop only has a 13" wide monitor, and I never thought to make that last picture larger so I could see the single lace pattern of the Big Medicine crossbred until yesterday. Anyone else can see it also. Maybe you got confused and just posted the wrong picture.
idunno.gif

I've been waiting since 5 a.m., knowing you are moving today and wanting to get those WC to you ASAP so you can take them with you if show the requested picture. It's been much longer than 12 hours. I have to go get a prescription filled, so can't wait around much longer. If you choose not to come up with the picture that's OK. If you show it, I'll deliver the WCs even if I have to drive them to your new place. Either way, lets stop this now, and I wish you a safe trip.

I have not posted any pictures of the Black Laced BM cock-- but I agree his lacing is awesome-- which is why I'm still using him- even though he is not blue laced.

You mentioned a nice young bird of mine- and I do agree- he's a bit leggy--- they all are.. But they are also very late maturing- quite a lot like my original birds were as well. These could either be a little later maturing, or they'll be not quite as good... who knows? In my novice Opinion-- they all need shank, and type.

Here is two shots of the Dark Cornish cock-- while I agree he does not, and never has had any lacing anywhere-- none of my DC males do...

However, I have one really good bodied young bird- that looks like a male to me-- yet he's got lacing-- I'm think he must be sired by one of the BM project males-- and he really isn't a DC. We'll see how he develops-- but I think he's the best bodied young bird I have.

Here are two pictures of the Dark Cornish cock from this morning. He's been on a strict diet this summer- and in the white shed under lights. I have tried to get him to lose some serious weight as I did not want to lose him to the heat. I was getting worried about him, as he was not taking the heat very well, and he was weighing some where in the 15 pound-ish range. If you ask about his spurs-- I cut them off and this is regrowth-- he was tearing my hens up too bad.

I have not taken any pictures of him, as I've basically starved him all summer to get his weight down to a manageable number. It's my belief, one should not take pictures of livestock when they are not in pristine condition-- as poor pictures or poor fleshed animals do far more harm than good pictures will ever do good.

Here are a few additional pictures of a few of my other birds. Without looking at them, I can't remember what I took a picture of, and what I didn't. I do remember taking a picture of one of my original WLR Cornish females purchased from you.

I am getting ready to leave shortly with another load of crap. I'll be back tonight around dark, but otherwise I won't be here for several more hours, if you decide to come over. I think I should be back 4:30 or 5:00 ish.

I have kept my three "white" cornish youngsters, and the quail here to take with me-- wherever I end up... as we cannot move into the new house for another 20 or 30 days.

Last edited:
I have not posted any pictures of the Black Laced BM cock-- but I agree his lacing is awesome-- which is why I'm still using him- even though he is not blue laced.

You mentioned a nice young bird of mine- and I do agree- he's a bit leggy--- they all are.. But they are also very late maturing- quite a lot like my original birds were as well. These could either be a little later maturing, or they'll be not quite as good... who knows? In my novice Opinion-- they all need shank, and type.

Here is two shots of the Dark Cornish cock-- while I agree he does not, and never has had any lacing anywhere-- none of my DC males do...

However, I have one really good bodied young bird- that looks like a male to me-- yet he's got lacing-- I'm think he must be sired by one of the BM project males-- and he really isn't a DC. We'll see how he develops-- but I think he's the best bodied young bird I have.

Here are two pictures of the Dark Cornish cock from this morning. He's been on a strict diet this summer- and in the white shed under lights. I have tried to get him to lose some serious weight as I did not want to lose him to the heat. I was getting worried about him, as he was not taking the heat very well, and he was weighing some where in the 15 pound-ish range. If you ask about his spurs-- I cut them off and this is regrowth-- he was tearing my hens up too bad.

I have not taken any pictures of him, as I've basically starved him all summer to get his weight down to a manageable number. It's my belief, one should not take pictures of livestock when they are not in pristine condition-- as poor pictures or poor fleshed animals do far more harm than good pictures will ever do good.

Here are a few additional pictures of a few of my other birds. Without looking at them, I can't remember what I took a picture of, and what I didn't. I do remember taking a picture of one of my original WLR Cornish females purchased from you.

I am getting ready to leave shortly with another load of crap. I'll be back tonight around dark, but otherwise I won't be here for several more hours, if you decide to come over. I think I should be back 4:30 or 5:00 ish.

I have kept my three "white" cornish youngsters, and the quail here to take with me-- wherever I end up... as we cannot move into the new house for another 20 or 30 days.
I looked again before taking off. If you're saying that is new picture but you forgot to put something around his neck, and either he will still be there when I come, or you get that picture of him with the marker, I'll be there this afternoon with two WCs.

Last edited:
I am not sure if there is a difference between the WLR's and the Dark but my Dark are very hardy. My roo is a wimp but he is hardy. I am amazed at some of the mass that my hens have now. I am sure alot of it is fat (how can I know if I am feeding them too much?)

Here is a pic of the roo sitting down and some of the hens (I have 5 and 3 are pretty big and two are not)

33539_dscn5313.jpg
What a pretty chicken!!!

Kfacres, how well do those birds lay looks like they would be decent DP birds
much better than cornish are supposed to... must be their poor heritage coming though :).

Last spring, when I was feeding a breeder ration- I was getting about 5 eggs a week from each pullet. It was their first go about laying, and I have been extremely tickled.

Birds are now gone Steve, they should be in Mt. Vernon by now. I didn't put anything around his neck, as you said you just wanted to see his breast feathers... Guess I'll just have to pass on that 'great' opportunity you presented me with. I don't know that I could have found something to put on him-- I'm in a house with a bed, and a chair-- and have nothing else left in any barns but a few panels and board gates.

I could be like anyone else- and photoshop something onto him... but that's cheating the system, wouldn't it be?

Might be MIA for a day or two. Realized I've been taking these prostate prescriptions I went after today for 30 days, they're not helping the 'going' problem, and seem to be having a bad effect. [I just googled they can cause mental and physical problems that I realized today have been building since starting them] Calling the doc tomorrow then taking a break to get caught up on sleep.

A couple of shots of my two BLR project males from the big medicine project taken earlier this fall. I'm 95% certain the bluer one (bottom) is a carrier of the hidden white gene.

I have a young juvie bird here, that is looking quite maleish to me-- yet he's got lacing over his whole body, which should not be the case if he was from my Dark Cornish; which makes me think he's sired by the cock on top... I must say, he's probably one of my more compact body typed young guys, and has as much shank as anything I hatched this spring.

I intend to breed the bottom cock- back to his BLR daughters and to the poorer laced Dark Cornish daughters this winter.

The top cock will get mated to my WLR females, and will also be put to cover the general egg layer pen to try and figure out if he's a carrier of white.

I intend to run a pen or two of Darks, and a pen or two of whites in addtion... Have one more project going on--- a pair of full sibling blue laced blue Ameraucana x the bottom BLR Cornish... Cool birds, and suprisingly large bodied...

Back
Top Bottom