Red lamp vs. clear lamp

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by goatkeepers, Apr 1, 2008.

1. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    What's the difference between those two? We got a clear one but I wanted to make sure they can sleep with it, since it's so bright? Thanks a lot.

2. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    The red one seems to keep the babies from pecking at each others feet, thinking they are worms!!!!!!

3. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Really?? Wow. [​IMG] So should I go out and buy a red one then?

4. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I have never used a red light in my 5 years of raising chicks and all my chicks have been fine. Occasionally I have had one peck at toes but they get over that within the hour. Red is good if you can get one that is not to hot. I could only find a 150 Watt bulb and I decided to use a regular bulb. I start with 100 watts and move down to 75 as their need for heat changes. I actually use the bluish tint Full Spectrum Bulbs. For birds that are caged it helps duplicate more closely the suns light.

5. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't use a light at all, but a ceramic reptile heat emitter that screws into the socket just like a bulb.

6. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Only red lights found at my place.

7. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    It looks like the red light district at my house. The chicks are on the front porch-I live in a neighborhood too, what must the neighbors think?! [​IMG]

8. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I am moving my soon to be 6,7 and 8 week olds out to the 4x4x 5 ft tall coop and only have a 250 red heat bulb, is this going to be to hot with days in the 60's and nights in the low 50's?

9. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Red here.

Out of choice I would use ceramic .... but they are expensive.

10. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    They will regulate their own heat needs, just place the light where they can get away from it if necessary. BTW, at that age, they are more than ready to be outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by